compression/eq (effects chain order)

nascentjunkie

my question essentially is, in which order do you "generally" place your dynamics section and eq in? dynamics first, then eq? ( or vice versa? ) I have heard different things from different people, and i normaly do compression first then eq. I believe that works best.... haha. Recently what made me second guess myself was a guy working at the tv station I do, we were going over the sony oxford(which seems to be really nice, except the piece of shit crashes all the time when you reload snap shots....) and he said "generally" its eq then dynamics for music, and dynamics then eq for music.... i have no freakin clue. This guy may have no idea what he is talking about, but i was just under the impression that dynamics was always first.(unless of course you just don't want that, or want a different sound... i know never say always in recording... dear lord...)

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!!!!

What I have read, and it makes sense to me, but could be wrong, is eq first, then compression, as you don't want to boost frequencies you might like to remove. If you use dynamics processing, then have to eq out a bunch of lows, say, you might be better off geting the sounds you want first, cutting the lows a bit, then compressing it, just so you don't have a big buildup of lows first....Makes some sense, and I did read it on here, and tried it, and have been doing that way myself. Again, this may be wrong, but I do it.

Ed

All four listed below are OPTIONAL in any given scenario (especially the last two), but if I had to hard-wire a chain to use all the time, it would probably be...

Corrective EQ (including rumble, overtone, hiss, sibilance control, etc.) >> Soft dynamics (compression) >> Shaping EQ >> Hard dynamics (limiting)

i agree with massive

correct before you enhance.
and on the flip side to dogman...if you don't want to boost frequencies you've cut, you also don't want to smash down frequencies you've boosted...riiiiight? ;)
really, a compressor only boosts a signal when you bring up the makeup gain, otherwise it's always smashing.

Massive Master said:
All four listed below are OPTIONAL in any given scenario (especially the last two), but if I had to hard-wire a chain to use all the time, it would probably be...

Corrective EQ (including rumble, overtone, hiss, sibilance control, etc.) >> Soft dynamics (compression) >> Shaping EQ >> Hard dynamics (limiting)
That's how I do it, usually. I often leave out the intitial EQ in favor of a Multiband Compressor (Usually Sonitus:FX Multiband, which is 5 bands).

here is a general rule:

if cutting, put before compressor (so the compressor won't have to work as hard)

if boosting, put after the compressor (so you don't compress what you just boosted)

bennychico11 said:
i agree with massive

correct before you enhance.
and on the flip side to dogman...if you don't want to boost frequencies you've cut, you also don't want to smash down frequencies you've boosted...riiiiight? ;)

You are correct sir..... :D (I believe...)
I hadn't thought of it that way, as I don't boost eq very often, but what you say makes sense...

Ed

its all highly situational though.

don't ever go thinking there is ONE WAY.

i'm sure you know this but with most things audio when you start thinking "ok this is how i am supposed to do it" is when you start getting into trouble and missing good opportunities to try something different that may just work better.

one day you may move your limiter to the left of your shaping EQ and realize you got a better sound.. audio is wierd like that.. in my experiences at least.. nothing works all the time but something always works.

i know you wanted general advice .. and i agree with the general consensus of corrective/dynamics/shaping/limiting and whatnot.

i'm just reminding you to never forget that the only rule is do what your ears like.

Back