Compression depression

Burton

Dorian - quite correct about the threshold levels. They're locked to the various presets. My adjustment was to the input trim and I was eyeing the output level reductions (based on the input settings).

I believe the manual suggests a -3 to -5db reduction on the meters when setting the input trim. I typically first set the gain on the Mackie pre's using the level meters on the Mackie as suggested in the Mackie manual. Then I insert the compressor into the Mackie's channel insert. Should I be cranking the Mackie trims up after inserting the compressor? If not, I really have to raise the output on the Presonus (to about 3 O'Clock or so on the dial).

In any case, it seems that in order to bring the level of the compressed signal up to the level of the uncompressed signal (as compared with the bypass button on the Presonus engaged), the noise floor must be considerably increased. With guitars blaring, it's really not that noticed. It's more apparent during the quiet passages, intro's, outtro's, etc. Does this sound correct?

I'm slowing moving from novice to "intermediate" compression user. I'm getting better at narrowing dynamics through use of the compressor to avoid digital clipping at the input stage.

The problem is that after setting the compression threshold, I inevitably have to raise the output level high enough that noise begins to enter into the signal. I know that the compressor is going to raise the noise floor a bit, but how much is reasonable. (When compressing the SM57 on my guitar cab, the sound is now similar to amp hiss). BTW, I'm using a Presonus Blue Max compressor as an insert to my Mackie 1202VLZ Pro board.

Any thoughts regarding acceptable levels of singal noise would be much appreciated.

Assuming that you are doing every thing you can to eliminate the noise from the amp, and you are not talking about pumping and breathing.

What you need to do is raise the source sound on your mixer to get more of the source into the compressor.

About the question what is acceptable I cant answer.
You would have to decide that but.... perhaps if youre getting so much noise from the compressor, then it might not be the wisest choice.

I also have a Blue Max and it is extremely quiet but as Shailat said, only if you feed it a hot enough signal so that you do not have to boost the input trim much past 0.( not more than past the first "line" as it starts to hiss.It states in the manual that the input trim is not to boost weak output from your source, but more to trim a hot output)One thing I am curious about. How are you setting the "threshhold" control when the Presonus blue max does not have a manual adjustment for threshold? Do you mean the comp/ratio control?It has presets which adjust the threshold or it adjusts automatically according the ratio settings.The controls are.. presets on knob 1..input gain knob 2...RATIO....knob 3 ...attack knob 4....Realease knob..5 and lastly we got knob 6 at output or makeup gain. No threshold control.........
Oh yeah, don't put a bunch of high EQ on the mic ( get the high end from the amp and mic placement )and make sure the internal level switch on the Blue Max is set to +4dB

Yeah, the Mackie has a quieter preamp section so turn it up there. Also I started micing with condensors( AKG4000B and a NeumannTLM103) and they are MUCH more sensitive( way hotter input signal).Turn up the input trim on the Mackie and CRANK up the amp to get a hotter signal from the git go. People mic with 57s because they will stand a LOT of volume. If you want to or have to record at a lower level invest in a co
ndensor or Royer ribbon mic.Yeah you are absolutely right about the noise floor.Compression will limit the hotter signal and boost the weaker stuff. i.e. the noise floor. A gate could also be useful and I confess that I ALWAYS use one the presets when I use the Blue Max.Also It would seem that maybe you should cut the tracks with more MILD compression and add a little more later ....can't take it out you know. Just limit the signal enough so the recorder does not light up like a Christmas tree.
By the way , nice to meet you Burton. I used to be a VS planet elitist scumbag but now it appears I am just a newbie scumbag.

Dorian... thanks again for the insight. We've met in a past life on another planet. You've got me drooling for a Masterlink from your positive reviews. Also noted your thoughts on recording levels on the long 1680 thread. Thanks again for the compression help. I'm no longer "elite" myself - although I never felt like it before.

Here's to new and old friends and good sounds.

Dorian, Burton: I'm a novice in this department. Dorian mentioned mild compression when tracking. I've tried that, and I get fat waveforms and no clipping, and a slight change in the sound (my acoustic guitar never sounded quite that ka-chunky punchy before). I use a low threshold and a low ratio for this.

But what about using the compressor like a limiter, and just dealing with the peaks that would otherwise cause clipping? Then you could fatten up the waveforms in the mix or mastering...

There's just one thing...

[This message has been edited by dobro (edited 06-06-2000).]

...I don't like about the edit/delete message function on this board...

...you can only edit; you can't delete the whole message.

Dragon, can you delete this and the previous three posts? Don't ask...

Hey, Dorian, Burton. Good to see you guys. Dorian, thats great advise on compression. Say, are you going from your mackie through the Apogee and in digitally?

Thanks Paris. I usually plug into the 2 Avalon 737 and then apogee to digital. When we play guitar bass and drums together I plug into the Avalons to Lexicon to Apogee to dig,the bass goes into a TC chorus and then into the Blue Max to a line in and the V drums go to a Drawmer MX30 comp/limit/gate. Any overdubs are done through the Avalons to the Apogee to dig in. Great to see you guys. I do not know about you but even if the Planet comes back up I think I prefer this place.

Dorian - I'm an idiot! The -10db button got pushed in (as opposed to +4) when I racked my Presonus. That explains a lot. Thanks for the pointer.

Back