Compressing vocals

Go to the mixing forum on this site and run a search for compression. If that's too much work for you, try googling "compression" and "vocals." You should probably get about 10 billion articles that will answer every question you didn't ask.

compression is to get the levels of your vocals more equal by lowering the high frequencies and tunning up the lower frequencies.. when this happens your sound actually gets louder.. also without compression or slight compression your vocals will sound distorted because of all the peaks and valleys your voice will go through

i always use compression except on vocals that dont have that much variation in the dynamic variance of my vocals

chills said:
compression is to get the levels of your vocals more equal by lowering the high frequencies and tunning up the lower frequencies..

Are you aure about that?

chills said:
also without compression or slight compression your vocals will sound distorted because of all the peaks and valleys your voice will go through

What?
Your joking right?

chills said:
i always use compression except on vocals that dont have that much variation in the dynamic variance of my vocals

I can't believe what I'm reading.......

OMG - yeah, don't listen to Chills. He's still trying to figure out what compression is and thinks it's useful for other people to consider his delusions.

Chills - that's complete rubbish, what you posted. Look, this site tries to help and be informative. Okay, everybody gets it wrong sometimes, but what you posted about compression in this thread is so far off base that it's the opposite of what compression really is and does.

chills said:
compression is to get the levels of your vocals more equal by lowering the high frequencies and tunning up the lower frequencies.. when this happens your sound actually gets louder.. also without compression or slight compression your vocals will sound distorted because of all the peaks and valleys your voice will go through

Most of the time, it has nothing to do with "frequencies". Compression actually creates distortion, but sometimes the distortion sound from compression is pleasing, and depending on the genre/what you're recording, it is sometimes a necessity. If you have say a vocal track and some parts sound perfect(volume wise), some parts are a little loud, and some parts are way too quiet, you could use compression to make them all sound pretty even. Don't overcompress, otherwise it might sound too unnatural(unless you're going for that). It's most of the time good to have a nice variance in the volume of a track in order for it to sound more natural, but you have to get it so that each part of the track can be clearly heard too, so there's a balance you have to strike between those things. You can also use compression within various frequency ranges, for instance you might just want to compress the lows/bass to get it to sound more controlled and even, you could do that, but don't even think about compressing like that until you have a very good grasp on compressing normally(all frequencies). Also, read the article, it's very good.

OMGthatsCrAzY said:
Do you ever have anything important to contribute?
Nope

OMGthatsCrAzY said:
3,500+ posts of sarcasm and bs.

Yep.

In fact, you've already contributed more to the world of recording knowledge than I have, and I'm pretty fucking jealous about it.

...crackhead.

LOL

"Do you ever have anything important to contribute?

3,500+ posts of sarcasm and bs."

Wrong. Chris knows more about the program than me. (Which is not much actually, come to think about it...you're gonna hafta pull up your socks, Harris.)

Look, you've been asking these great big general questions that are less about Cool Edit and more about mixing generally. I've answered a couple of your questions about hard limiting and reverb. Now play with the program for a while and acquaint yourself with it. If you do that, I predict people will welcome your next generation of questions more.

dobro said:
Look, you've been asking these great big general questions that are less about Cool Edit and more about mixing generally. I've answered a couple of your questions about hard limiting and reverb. Now play with the program for a while and acquaint yourself with it. If you do that, I predict people will welcome your next generation of questions more.
Fair enough, thanks for the help guys.

chrisharris said:
Sorry for being a dick. It's the only thing I'm really good at, lol.
Naw I'm sorry, I can see how you guys can get irritated by newbies....I guess I'm trying to reap the fruits of good recording without putting the work into it.

Back