compresser

Inline or insert loop is pretty much the same thing....

You normally wouldn't use a compressor via aux sends/returns though.

Blue Bear Sound said:
Inline or insert loop is pretty much the same thing....

You normally wouldn't use a compressor via aux sends/returns though.

really? why not?

i've never thought of doing that, but does it somehow degrade the audio signal, or what's the deal?

The normal patch is to send the entire signall through. Auxes normally get used to do a blend. A less typical app. is to mix the compressed version with the original. An aux could be used for that.

He/she said: if I use aux, not if I insert....
yeah if you want to bring the compressed signal back to the board and blend it with the uncompressed..you will naturally need a separate channel

good luck:)

tubesrawsom said:
if i use aux wont i have to use an extra channel for the compression

I think you misunderstood what mixsit is stating about auxes.

Auxes are basically used for signal "effect" processors such as 'Verb's, Chorusing, Delay's etc. to the desired signal while your INSERTS are used to connect signal "dynamic" processors such as comps and eq'lizrs.

In particular, please note that compressors are not designed or used as a "effect" device (unless you're using a 3630 ;)) per se, but to control a signal's dynamics where needed such as peak control,compression, response, leveling, etc. along with gating, de-essing and normalizing functions.
Your question on comp application as either "inline" or "loop"
indicates you need to take the time out to learn and understand the basics of compression and use of same. Believe me, I'm not trying to belittle you or come off as some-1 who's holier than thou, it's just that years back, I ran my 1st ever comp thru the auxes thinking thats the way it was w/o giving myself the benefit of understanding the unit's purpose. At least you have inquired about it's connection, now take it a step further and learn ias much as you can about it!

Peace
Q.rM

tubesrawsom said:
if i use aux wont i have to use an extra channel for the compression
Anything you send to/through the aux (generally) gets sent to and blended into the main mix along with the source track. You could decide to route an aux-return to a new track.

I may have clouded the issue with the compressor-on-an-aux comment.(?) You can blend a track's compression with the source just as you would add in a bit of delay, for a slightly different effect, but that has nothing to do with whether it gets returned to a new track.
To open that up a bit more, look at it as being several ways to get to the same place. The track gets split off; from an aux, or it could be a new copy of the track -same as the term 'mult' (for multiple just in case...;) )
It runs through what ever effect you hang on it, and back to the mix> an aux master return direct injected at the main mix, or to a new track or channel, recorded as a new track -or not.
It comes down to whichever fits.

Back