Component leads and PCBs

rmaier

What's the best way to accomodate larger component leads without damaging the board/ traces? I'm upgrading capacitors in a pair of Apex 460s and the Capacitor leads on the new parts are just a hair too big.:confused:

What's the best way to accomodate larger component leads without damaging the board/ traces? I'm upgrading capacitors in a pair of Apex 460s and the Capacitor leads on the new parts are just a hair too big.:confused:

I've used steel wire or a drill bit that fits the existing hole. You put the bit in and rotate the end without turning the bit (and thus not removing material in a through hole). The idea is to expand the diameter of the hole.

A large needle would work too.

Regards, Ethan

If the PCB is a single sided PCB without plated through holes and the Pad is big enough you can make the hole bigger with a mini drill bit , otherwise just use a smaller gauge wire and solder one end to the PCB trace and the other to the component , you can also solder directly to the traces on the underside of the board but might need to scrape away a bit of solder mask .....

Cheers

Back