Completely new to tape recording, buying a Tascam MF-P01 to take in to rehab with me, can I ask a couple very basic questions?

Ae we not making this very complicated? If hes going away for three months, and is taking a laptop, then just buying a zoom or tascam recorder with stereo mics, a cable and a few sd cards would let you record, snd with even a freeby daw or cheap one, edit and tweak what the recorder captures. They've got a mic stand hole on them too. Job done, reliable and simple workflow.
"Senior moment" Rob? OP posted up front that he wants to avoid getting a laptop. Hence the idea of a tape machine. Happily 'we' seem to have convinced him against that idea.

Yes, a modest laptop and UMC204HD with Reaper and couple of mics would see him setup. A small fly in the ointmernt might be if he wants to do overdubs the latency might be too high? Can be a bit of a lottery. But then I have never used one of those digital multi-trackers, might have the same problem?

Dave.

Damn! Missed the "i wont have a laptop" - Maybe one of the rules? Without a computer, so much nowadays is harder and more complicated.

"Senior moment" Rob? OP posted up front that he wants to avoid getting a laptop. Hence the idea of a tape machine. Happily 'we' seem to have convinced him against that idea.

Yes, a modest laptop and UMC204HD with Reaper and couple of mics would see him setup. A small fly in the ointmernt might be if he wants to do overdubs the latency might be too high? Can be a bit of a lottery. But then I have never used one of those digital multi-trackers, might have the same problem?

Dave.
In my experience, (AW1600. R24 and H4n, H6) I have never noticed any latency when doing overdubs. The key here is that they don't have the USB overhead, nor the OS overhead of a computer. Everything is designed around one process, so there is an efficiency in the opeation.

That's one of the really nice things about these units.

In my experience, (AW1600. R24 and H4n, H6) I have never noticed any latency when doing overdubs. The key here is that they don't have the USB overhead, nor the OS overhead of a computer. Everything is designed around one process, so there is an efficiency in the opeation.

That's one of the really nice things about these units.
Obvious when you explain it Rich! Might then be the best way for him to go? I still think a small mixer would be an asset? I have had a few and they all had better mic pres , lower noise, more gain, than most interfaces. Headphone amps also kicked ass better.

Dave.

Back