Completed song

crazyhorse

Much thanks to Emerick for writing the bass line to this. 1.5 Megs mp3 128kBps I added a solo line before the hollidays pulled me away and took it off yesterday when I got back. Any comments ?
(url)home.earthlink.net/~ray734/laze.mp3(/url)

JustOn is free. I'd like to hear your ideas Re: a lead line. As to the mix. The changes you've made make the comparison a highly subjective decision. Both sound good. The remix sounded a little bass heavy, while the original track was light like Jimi's "Little Wing".

I pushed the bass freqs out a little to make some headroom for Emerick's bass line. I've noticed that the last measure or so of bass kind of fades some but everything gets kind of loose there anyway.
I was working on a lead line with a fakey guitar-synth tone (ala The Edge's Zooropa stuff) but my wife said it clashed to much with the other tones.

I had to go on vacation and missed Emerick's new song and the drum line request. Pisses me off. I kind of like to compete my programmed drums against the real thing, uh, sort of anyway. :)

Laze is good title. Got that floatin down the Apple river feel. Only thing I could suggest is a little reverb on the cymbals or hi hat to give it a little more shimmer.

Layth

[This message has been edited by Layth (edited 11-30-1999).]

Hey CH: Just because Emeric did a killer job on that drum line request, don't think that your attempts aren't welcome. In particular, I'd like to hear what can be done with a drum machine approach. The file is still there.

I took your suggestions and remixed w/ some reverb on cymbals and tucked the low frequencies in some. I also put a guitar solo over the first part of the song. My wife says the tone is too abrasive and I think the line is kind of cheesey anyway. The mix was made without the lead line so wait till the solo quits to judge it. I had to remix it several times because the mixdown to a stereo wav file altered the sound. I thought I made some serious tweaks but after comparing final mp3s, there did not seem to be that much difference.

Laze is good man. And I like the bass line from emeric. I also like the tremolo effect on the clean guitar track. Very easy on the ears. What kind of equipment are you using?

dmc

CH. liked the solo especially the middle part. But I have a question. What encoder do you use? I know Slack has some gripes with BladeEnc at least at 128kbps. I know when I listened to Emerics drums for drstawl's song at 192kbs they were very crisp and distinctive. So Im wondering is it the encoder or the higher bit rate that makes the difference?

Thanks a lot! Emerick's bass line fit in there just right didn't it? I can't say enough about everyone who chipped in on this one.
Put me down for membership on the bbs inspiration list. I lost my drummer, my cousin, and subsequently my entire band to a member's drug problems. I've avoided bands since school and after investing a year and 1/2 to this one, I was bummed when everything fell apart.
Now here I am creating again. It feels good. Now I just never have enough time!
I'm playing an old Ibanez Artist (LesP copy) into a Johnson Millenium 150. I get more high end micing with a SM-57 direct into my line in. This time I had to do some tracks using the XLR out of my amp (people were sleeping) which greatly detracts from the signals high end.
I just installed Cakewalk 8 for mixing tracks. I do some audio editing with Goldwave. I used AIPL Warm Tone plugin (tube-tape style saturation) on the dual drony gtr lines (- which should rotate in the pan field - subtly I hope :) ).
Somebody just told me to set my Win 95 graphics hardware acceleration to the minimum amount before processing sound. I feel like an idiot for not trying this before. I was lucky to get 5 tracks playing simultaneously before in Cakewalk, now I've run 12 successfully so far.
I used a program from the Sonic Spot called Moonfish to sequence my drum tracks using samples from a place called Kalava. I added reverb from Cakewalk to the cymbals, snare, and kick.
The inspiration came from hitting one finger bar chords over a random tuning of D-A-D-F#-B-E. I setup a preset in my amp that sounded like two guitars playing at once and the rest just kind of fell in. I'm still figuring out the basics of pc recording so I hope to improve my skills with each piece. Everyone's support here is fantastic so I'm here to stay if I can.

I just got Drstawl's "looking for drums" file. Awesome chops! I'm gonna try and throw some canned sticks on there just for fun. I still need to get Emeric's addition. I'm gonna think of some impossible request from him just to prove to myself thet he's not some new audio bbs bot. Damn Quakers.

I use the free version of Audiograbber with the Fraunhofer IIS (professional version) codec. The codec actually does the encoding. My pc only does up to 128kBps but I remember sonusman saying that there was a definate quality loss going down from 192kBps, even to 128kBps. Hell, I'm running a Soundblaster 16 plugnplay upgraded to 32. I've got 2 gigs, a pentium 166, and 16M ram. Yes, I'm still part of the Blue Bar Watchers club. Crappy equipment can be inspiring too with the right attitude!

Hey CH,

Glad you like the bass line. Interesting to see that this internet exchange of parts has a lot of potential. I like the mix, but as Stawl said, the bass may be a bit too upfront, that's an easy fix though. I really like the song as well. Would like to hear the song with the lead that you were working on.

Always up to contributing any parts. I find it a hell of a lot of fun, and very educational and good practice for myself.

Emeric

Very nice work Crazyhorse sounds like Eric johnson meets Hendrix! I noticed you posted that you played the johnson 150, had mine about a year now and its been a love hate THANG, guess ill keep it for now,,let us hear more mp3s..peace

Thanks David. I'm dying to talk to you about the Johnson. Do you use the J-12?. I got to use the JM 150 live before my band broke up and have noticed a serious problem. The left expression pedal tracks bad when left between full toe and full heel. It makes the wah unusable unless I leave either all the way up or down when it's not in motion. I've got to get off of the computer now but I really would like to talk to you (e-mail? or maybe another forum?) if you are willing.

Back