Complete noob keyboard questions.

Trent Reznor

As some of you may know, I recently taught myself to play piano and I'm looking around for a good keyboard to buy, but I have a bunch to learn before I buy something. So here are some questions I have, any help is appreciated. :)

1. WTF is the difference between a keyboard, synth, sequencer, midi controller, sampler, digital piano, workstation, and the 15 different other names I've seen used to describe keyboards? Why does it have to be so damn complicated?

2. The most impressive keyboard I've played was some variation of a Triton, a studio or something like that. It seemed like it could do anything, and had a ton of great programmed sounds. Like you'd press one key and it would play a badass sample or song, then you press another key and it would play the same thing in a different key. What is that called?

3. I'm definitely wanting something with at least 76 keys and weighted, hammer action, or semi-weighted but I'm not sure about how to tell the difference between semi-weighted and weighted.

4. I have seen some midi-controllers (or some other similar name) where all they do is they have like 20 keys and they play simple tones and sometimes arpeggiate tones, and you can manipulate very minute details like the wave pattern and stuff like that. I think just buying one of these alone would be a waste of money, but what is that called and are there some upscale "do-it-all" keyboards that do that as well as everything else?

That should get the ball rolling for now, I'm sure I'll have more questions when I come across something new.

That really didn't help much, but thanks. That top part briefly described a couple of things, but it was combined with other elements and confusing. I've asked these questions in a way that will get answers I'll understand. I understand that different features do different things, but I don't know if they make a keyboard with all of those features available, or if not, why in the hell not?

Like can you tell me what features a Korg Triton Studio 76 key piano has? Don't link me to korg, it's all gibberish to me. I'm just looking for simple answers. :(

Okay.. gotcha... You really do have some hard questions... The problem is that, as you've mentioned, the lines are severly blurred... As a result, we can learn together on this... So what I plan to do is start at the bottom of the foodchain, a kid's keyboard and work my way up to work workstation... Deal? Give me a while to put something solid together to post... Cool?

peritus said:
Okay.. gotcha... You really do have some hard questions... The problem is that, as you've mentioned, the lines are severly blurred... As a result, we can learn together on this... So what I plan to do is start at the bottom of the foodchain, a kid's keyboard and work my way up to work workstation... Deal? Give me a while to put something solid together to post... Cool?
Sounds great! If you do a good job, it would make a great sticky thread for noobs like me who stumble in. :)

Okay here we go...

Kid's Keyboard

Example:
Casio SA-75

This keyboard is obviously for kids. Let's be critical of why. It is small and portable. It has low quality speakers, 4-note polyphony, no real line level outputs, no headphone jack, and some ultra low quality microphone and microphone preamplifier circuit.

.... psst... I gotta stop and return to this post to ammend it.. it's the end of my shift @ work .. lol .. be back later ;)

peritus said:
Okay here we go...

Kid's Keyboard

Example:
Casio SA-75

This keyboard is obviously for kids. Let's be critical of why. It is small and portable. It has low quality speakers, 4-note polyphony, no real line level outputs, no headphone jack, and some ultra low quality microphone and microphone preamplifier circuit.

.... psst... I gotta stop and return to this post to ammend it.. it's the end of my shift @ work .. lol .. be back later ;)

LOL@ 4-note polyphony. I've already learned more (the details about line-level) thanks to you. I look forward to seeing more. :)

1. WTF is the difference between a keyboard, synth, sequencer, midi controller, sampler, digital piano, workstation, and the 15 different other names I've seen used to describe keyboards? Why does it have to be so damn complicated?

There is alot of overlap in those terms so they are used interchangably:

Keyboard is just that a keyboard (thing with black and white keys). It can be a synth, piano, controller, workstion whatever

Synth is a synthesizer, meaning a device the makes its own tones (vs a sampler which plays recorded sounds back). It can be in a keyboard form or a rack or tabletop

Sequencers are usually: Built into keyboards, are software, or standalone hardware which allow you to record midi or audio and play it back and manipulate it

A samplers records a sound and plays it back with various options (follow key pitch, chop up sounds etc)

Workstations are complete packages which include synths, midi, and usually audio so you are capable of making a whole track on one device

2. The most impressive keyboard I've played was some variation of a Triton, a studio or something like that. It seemed like it could do anything, and had a ton of great programmed sounds. Like you'd press one key and it would play a badass sample or song, then you press another key and it would play the same thing in a different key. What is that called?

That is the sampling feature on a workstation

3. I'm definitely wanting something with at least 76 keys and weighted, hammer action, or semi-weighted but I'm not sure about how to tell the difference between semi-weighted and weighted.

Semi weighted are less heavy and about halfway between non-weighted and fully weighted (like a piano). The difference is obvious

4. I have seen some midi-controllers (or some other similar name) where all they do is they have like 20 keys and they play simple tones and sometimes arpeggiate tones, and you can manipulate very minute details like the wave pattern and stuff like that. I think just buying one of these alone would be a waste of money, but what is that called and are there some upscale "do-it-all" keyboards that do that as well as everything else?

Not at waste money at all. You are refering to midi control keyboards and they are wonderfull. I own 10 different synths and most of them are rackmount. I have programs to control just about every parameter programed into my controller and all I need to do is press a button and I can move from synth to synth using the same keyboard. These rarely come with internal sounds. You can also control any midi device with them including software. The 2 octave ones transpose to a full range with one button

I think the real question has to be "what do you want to do?" .

If you want to play the piano then you`ll want a real piano or maybe one of the great electronic ones maybe from Roland etc.

If you want to create electronic music using instruments that can give you sounds unavailable in nature or from acoustic instruments ( the piano IS an acoustic instrument ) then youll want a synth of some description.

If you want to produce music and record songs then a workstation may be for you , this can be anything from the Korg Triton LE all the way up to the Oasis , at which time your wallet will dictate what you can buy.

Check out a CME midi keyboard (weighted) and marry it with maybe a yamaha motif rack , Roland fantom rack , or a korg triton rack . itll cover most of the stuff you`ll be likely to want to do at the moment. when you want other capabilities , you can buy other racks. This will give you tons capability and plenty of sounds to keep you amused.

Great info, thanks guys! Bascially I have enjoyed recording at home, playing all the instruments, so music production is my main motivation. And I don't want to be like altitude909 and have 10 different synths, I really don't have the money or room for it. I mainly want to be able to have a great digital piano that feels like the grand I've been playing (not like my crappy Casio $99 keyboard). I love the touch-sensitive, weighted keys, that's pretty much a must. So to start, I need something that feels good so I can continue learning, something that can record some great piano/strings/organ sounds, but I also want the bells and whistles (sampling and sequencing) to mess around with and learn to use them to create some awesome songs.

So it sounds like the Triton LE is a great all-around, I'm not familiar with the Oasis but I'll check those out too. Is the Triton LE the same as a "Studio" model? It might have been an LE that I played, I'm not sure but I thought it was a studio.

I think I'll head off to GC and take a closer look at some later today. I feel a little more informed and at least know more about what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help. :)

Probably the Motif ES8 would fit the bill for what you looking for. Its 88 keys and weighted ($2900.00 street price) or the Triton LE 88 ($1800). I have worked with the Yamaha sequencer and it is very good, I cant really tell u anything about the Triton though.

I would not worry about the Oasys, yes it is boner inducing but for $8000 it's a little much for someone getting into this for the first time

altitude909 said:
Probably the Motif ES8 would fit the bill for what you looking for. Its 88 keys and weighted ($2900.00 street price) or the Triton LE 88 ($1800). I have worked with the Yamaha sequencer and it is very good, I cant really tell u anything about the Triton though.

I would not worry about the Oasys, yes it is boner inducing but for $8000 it's a little much for someone getting into this for the first time

Oh wow, I had no idea they could sell a keyboard for $8000! That's a big "no thank you" from me. :D

peritus said:
Here's a thought... Is adding to my previous post still a priority? :o

I think I've gotten a lot of good information already, so it's up to you. I'm still wondering if the Triton Studio is the same thing as the LE, or what the difference is. I looked at your "thought" and I'm afraid a 61 key just wouldn't work. The only song I know how to play is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata", and it requires at least a pretty full size keyboard, and I'm leaning towards 88 keys like the LE 88.

Sorry, this one dropped off radar...

I met my first Triton Studio, today.... That is one sweet piece of equipment...

To answer your question, the Triton keyboard ranking goes (from low end to high end):

1. Triton LE
2. Triton Studio
3. Triton Extreme (shit has a tube in it!)

Edit: It seems that my ranking is incorrect... Can anyone help me clarify?

Check it:

http://www.korg.com/gear/default.asp?categoryID=1

P.S. I'll be asking some of my own Triton questions, soon (most likely)....

Last edited:
Back