compiling a list of single guitarist bands

zook250

my current band is downsizing to a 4 piece as one of our guitarists is leaving.
im trying to compile a list of rock/classic rock/pop rock bands that utilize only one guitarist so as we can have an easier time coming up with an entirely new set list.

so far i can think of
cheap trick
poison
lenny kravitz
van halen

can anybody help out and add to the list, it would be much appreciated.
if you want to check out my other band , it is called "whole lotta angus" an ac/dc tribute to the bon scott years.
www.myspace.com/wholelottaanguswinnipeg

thanks guys

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple

ummm.....

There are too many to actually list...

Last edited:
zook250 said:
so far i can think of
cheap trick
poison
lenny kravitz
van halen

In cheap trick, robin xander played guitar (he sucked, but he's holding one on live at budokan)

Lenny Kravitz plays and has some white guy with an afro play, too, doesn't he?

Poison? wtf? Do you consider comparing yourself to poison a good selling tactic?

I have played 3-piece for years and years. It is fucking hard work and I want another guy to play, too.

I went from playing in a seven piece funk band to playing with a three piece. The worst mistake you can make is to try and fill all the space, which is exactly what I did!

3 pcs

i have been playing in a 3 pcs for a few years now..... although another guitar would be cool [at times] it works just fine the way it is :D

Grand Funk
James Gang
Triumph
George Thorogood
The Who
Los Lonely Boys
Stevie Ray
Monte Montgomery
Eric Johnson
Satch
Nugent
ZZ Top

cephus said:
In cheap trick, robin xander played guitar (he sucked, but he's holding one on live at budokan)
First, it's Robin ZANDER, and he is a decent guitar player.
He mainly plays the ballads and slow songs on acoustic, 12 string electric and wrote the tune with a cool guitar riff "High Roller".
He's not the lead guitar player, but you need to check out Need Your Love from Live At Budokan and hear the dual guitar solo of Robin and Rick playing in unison for a few minutes.

HIGH ROLLER video http://www.trickworld.com/Video/Cheap Trick - High Roller NY 01.WMV

johnnymegabyte said:
First, it's Robin ZANDER, and he is a decent guitar player.
He mainly plays the ballads and slow songs on acoustic, 12 string electric and wrote the tune with a cool guitar riff "High Roller".
He's not the lead guitar player, but you need to check out Need Your Love from Live At Budokan and hear the dual guitar solo of Robin and Rick playing in unison for a few minutes.

Don't get me wrong. I was obsessed with cheap trick when i was about 13 or so. No one was cooler than rick neilsen (fix the spelling for me, will ya?)

However, I have an mp3 of ain't that a shame that has some really shitty attempts at filling the round robin solos at the end. Back in '80 or whenever I had the vinyl, the solos were redone post-production, I assume by Rick Neilsen. I woudln't be so quick to think robin zander is that hot based on that particular album for that reason. I can't remember that song since it was on the A side. I could probably play the B side verbatim to this day.

From memory: Ain't that a shame, I want you to want me, surrender, clock strikes ten, goodnight now.

I frikcing loved that album (at least the B side).

True, though that he plays the acoustic guitar in their shitty late 80s early 90s ballad attempts.

Led Zeppelin

cephus said:
However, I have an mp3 of ain't that a shame that has some really shitty attempts at filling the round robin solos at the end.

Speaking of crummy solos, Jimmy Page wasn't the greatest live guitarist either. ;) :D

Last edited:
page solo's ?

yes page's solos were not the greatest........... but i love every one of them... they may not be technicaly correct.....and a little sloppy at times...... but they have magic...... and they still inspire me. :D :D ........ i cant quit you. live....... damm

Back