Comparing microKORGs

Daniel | Davis

Hello all. I went to Guitar Center today and I saw that they now have a new microKORG. I've owned the older microKORG model before and was completely shocked/excited about seeing this new (maybe it's not too new...I haven't been up to date lately on some gear!) model. Don't be fooled by the sleek new looks, though. They made it less of a performance synth by taking away a bunch of knobs (like the whole entire ADSR!) and geared it more towards a LED screen interface like the Alesis Micron. Hyper gay. I loved how on the old microKORG, you had basically everything at your fingertips so you wouldn't have to scroll through lameass menus like on the micron but I guess they decided to switch. There's also the lame ass joystick for octave switching versus the buttons that the old model had. What I did like about the new one though is that the keys definitely felt more playable (for a MIDI controller at least), however the keys weren't very much bigger than the previous model. The sounds were a little more organized in the new model too, by categorizing them into instruments such as basses, leads, and pads. Overall, I stayed in guitar center for about an hour and placed both the new and old microKORG models side-by-side and I would definitely say that the old microKORG wins by a good amount. The new microKORG may have more modern type sounds to it but it completely lacks the versatility and playability that the old model has and that's even with the newer version's better keys. The new model just doesn't compare to the old model's analog synth-like feel and design where a menu doesn't come between your fingertips and the sounds.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion. Does anybody here own the new model? Thoughts?
Images for reference, old:
285319.jpg

and new:
588478.jpg

Back