compare my mixes

philpereira

Alright, I have to start out by saying I know almost nothing about mixing. We all have to start somewhere i guess. I learned how parametric eq works and tried using that on a song I've been working on. Just wanted to see what people thought of my before and after, what I did right, and more importantly what I did wrong. I think I may have gone a little crazy with boosting and cutting frequencies, and I've been using some online tutorials as a guide to which frequencies stand for what. So here goes

this is basically my mixing together all the instruments, basically just getting the volume levels right, but not doing anything to the sound eq-wise

i went crazy and tried eq'ing everything. one personal observation is that the guitars don't sound as full and chunky as the above mix, and they come across as brittle. but i think i managed to get more of the higher frequencies in this, whereas a lot of my demos are very heavy on the low end. So I guess I need to find a happy medium.

As I said, I have a lot to learn, this is my first real attempt at making everything fit right. I tried using spectrum analysis in audition to see where each instrument fit in. I don't know how much the pros and semi-pros rely on that or if it's mainly a tool for those starting out and who don't have the ear developed yet. Ok, enough of my rambling, fire away with suggestions. Thanks!

Hey bro liked the song,

maybe though more verb, reverb junkie

more drums, loud and in your face

and If you asked me I would say maybe try a little different aproach to the

vocals, different, maybe more melodic and sung, with background vox

Just my 2 cents

Feel to rip mine apart anytime

Much Love, Sean http://seanryderwilliams.com/

the eq'ed version sounds awful, tinny..........maybe start back with the original mix and just think about what frequencies are lacking or overbearing and eq accordingly. the eq'ing you have done is pretty extreme.

thanks for the comments. I agree, Travis, my eq'd mix is tinny, that was the word I was looking for. It may very well be the case where I don't have to do much in terms of eq, just to make it a little brighter sounding and getting some stuff out of the way on the low end. At this point, I guess I need to learn how to read the frequency analysis and maybe try to locate some trouble spots that way. I didn't expect much from this, mainly experimenting, and of course people tend to do new things to the extreme. i'm going to have these songs mixed by someone else, since i don't have monitors, but i figured i'd practice and at least try to learn some of these concepts so that maybe some day i can mix music.

Back