Compare and Critique

jignod

For the sake of some bbs action lets compare and critique equipment
I'd like to know what kind of stuff you guys use

right now I have a pearl forum standard my first drumset still, (I have a gretch Catalina Birch on the way should be here tomarrow...YES!)

most of my money is wrapped up in my cymbals

Paiste
15" Signature Fast Crash
13" Signature Dark Crisp Top/Rude Bottom Hi-hats (sound tough i tell ya)
20" Innovations Med. Ride
10" Pst5 Splash
and of course the toca cowbell

evans
G2 heads on toms
Gq3 batter bass head
HD Genera Dry on snare

Dw 5000 Accelerator single bass pedal

all the crappy pearl hardware that I will sell with my set and round out the Gretch w/ DW 5000 series hardware with the proceeds from the sale.

believe it or not the pearl sounds good but I'm switching to a fusion set so it'll be a bit obsolete.

I use a plastic muting ring on the snare, and heavey rubber muffle circles on each of my toms.

I use a SM-81 for my sweet hi-hats and the rest I'm still experimenting with, Octavas and Audio-technicas trying to find those sweet spots.

theres my digs hows about yours.

No recordign equpiment yet. I'm not good enough for recording yet, and I don't have the money for equipment.

Drums: Tama SUperstars (the old ones) 12", 13", 14" 16" and 18" toms (I'm currently looking to add 8" and 10" toms, but I cant find em), two 22x14" bass drums (currently looking for 24" bass drums, but can't find em), an old Tama Imperialstar snare (steel, with internal muffler), and a Mapex Black Panther Precious Metal Bronze snare.

CYmbals (all Paiste signatures, unless otherwise stated):
14" Sound Edge Hi hats
18" FUll Crash
18" Power crash
21" Dry Heavy Ride
20" Sound FOrmula Silk Crash/Ride
12" Splash
12" Wuhan China (I don't really like WUhans, I'm gonna repalce it eventually)
18" 3000 Novo CHina
20" Sound Creations New Dimensions Dark China (favorite cymbal)

Heads (all Evans, unless otherwise stated):
Toms: G2's on top (thinking of switching to G1's when the G2's die), Genera Resonants. Bass: Old tama heads, except one has an Attack batter head. Thinking of switching to E3 bass drum batters, retro screen resonants. FOr snares, I have a ST Dry on the steel, and a power center on the bronze.

Hardware: Old Tama Hi hat stand, Axis X-Longboards for bass drums, and a variety of Tama, Samsonite, Dixon, and Mapex cymbal stands.

Nice cymbal selection I love those sound edge Hi-hats they are on my to get list. Although I would not trade my Dark Crisps for them. Its good to see another paiste man.

jignod said:
Nice cymbal selection I love those sound edge Hi-hats they are on my to get list. Although I would not trade my Dark Crisps for them. Its good to see another paiste man.

I wanna try out the Dark Energy hats. I've tried the ride and the crashes, and they sound amazing. But the sound edge hats have a really subtle chick, which is why I prefer their closed sound/chick over the dark crisps. But their open sound is too bright... thats why I wanna get a pair of dark energy hats as secondary hats.

Moi...

Pearl Masters Studio (BRX) - 22 x 18 Kick, 12 x 10 Rack, 16 x 16 Floor.

Snares - Pearl 14 x 6.5 Ultracast, Pearl Masterworks 13 x 6.5 20 ply (On order).

Cymbals - Sabian HHX Evolution 20" ride, 16" Evo Crash, 18" Stage Crash, 14" Evo Hats.

Mics - Audix D6, 2 x Oktava Mk012 Matched pair, 1 x SM57.

as soon as its made (they began working on it almost 2 months ago now, they say it might be here in two weeks...)

premier gen-x
8, 10, 14, 15, 16 toms, 20X18 kick and 14X7 snare.

meinl byzance:
15, 17 thin crashes
20 dry ride
14 medium soundwave hats

mapex janus lefty double pedal and hat stand, mapex stands.

recording equipment is a bit poor to list.

seconding the gretches... just bought a Gretsch Renown Maple, boy is that nice (of course, I'd been playing a Royce for 12 or so years). I think the toms are 8, 12, and 14 (12 might be a 10, not really sure, it was what it came with) and the bass is a 22. Zildian As for cymbals (bought them as a pack: hats, crash, ride, splash) and a gibralter intruder II double pedal. I think I'd prefer an iron cobra or dw pedal when I have the money (I have a dw ride stand, that thing is indestructible), unless you guys have some hints how to make it smoother. Oh right, 14 snare that I bought with the kit. Any hints on tuning? Should I get one of those drum dial things? I've never really learned about tuning...

basically tighten all the lugs finger tight the do 1/4 turns or half turns to each lug, opposite sides before all the rest. Then take a stick and hit the head a certain spot in front of each lug make sure the pitch is the same then tune to taste (follow suit on the bottom)

Back