Compacting Audio

Soundscaper

Does anyone know if compacting audio will decrease the file size of a .BUN? Does compacting affect the audio in any way?

I'm not sure compacting the audio will do anything for a .BUN file. As far as I know, all this does is put all of the individual .wav files that a .WRK file accesses into one big file so cakewalk doesn't have to access different areas of your hard drive. A .BUN file has all of the .wav files BUNdled with the cakewalk file already. Compacting the data doesn't actually compress the sound files like zipping them will, it just moves them around so it won't affect sound quality. After compacting your data, remember to 'Clean Audio Disk' to remove the old files or you'll eat up hard drive space with duplicates.

So, you make .bun files of all of your .wrk files which means that all the .wav files for each song are bundled together. Cool! Let's say that you then burn them as data onto CD, then you test it and you are still able to edit the files as if they were still .wrk and .wav files, again...cool. Now, you want to clean all the garbage off of your hard drive. What is the best way to go about that?

sasmfb:

They already gave you that answer... Clean Audio.

Delete the .wrk file and the run Clean Audio. It locates all the .wav files that are no longer associated with any projects and asks if you want to delete them. Since you have deleted the .wrk file, the .wav's have no association any longer and will show on the list to be deleted. Just choose 'yes'. However, make sure your .bun's are working first. (BTW, make sure you remove the deleted .wrk file from your recycle bin, otherwise CW still associates the .wav's with the copy in your recycle bin and they won't show up in the Clean Audio function.)

Not sure whether this function also deletes the picture files (.wov's). There are generally smaller though and not as much a concern as the .wav's. However, if you want, you can delete all of the picture files manually. Cakewalk will simply redraw them as necessary.

Anyone happen to know if Clean Audio also erases the associated picture files?

redraws

i recently installed new hard drive and had to reload all my songs from cds that did not cointain the picture directory. what happened is cakewalk redrew the wav clips but it took ages. i was also having this problem with recorded audio though (when i recorded in i was waiting 20secs for cw to draw the wavs). anyway the jist is that cakewalk pa 9 redrew the wav forms without the old picture directory. when u import awav it has to draw the wav without a picture file for it so it must have this capability anyway.
hope this helps

Has anyone experienced problems with the 'clean audio' function destroying .wav files that were still being used? Maybe all I need to do is run 'clean audio' and I'll recover enough disk space to coast for a while longer? I just don't want to lose songs like I did last year.

This depends on how old the songs are you want to archive, but you may consider a wav zipper. When I am working on a project, I just use the sonar file sharing etc. But when I want to archive something, or back something up, I convert the sonar audio files to waves and compact them with monkeys audio filter. It is free and awesome. I generally save 45 - 50% on the size of the wave (yes, the process is lossless). Sometimes I burn a cd or put them on cdrw.

http://www.monkeysaudio.com/

Back