compact 2-track reel-to-reel recorders

Cratinus

looking for something a bit more "robust" than "STEREO CASSETTE" to mix down to. my dad has an old Realistic (Radio Shack?) RTR that he uses to record alot of choral and small symphonic projects with and the results ALWAYS prove to be quite impressive. i'd like to find a similar unit, as compact as possible. 1/4" tape is ok. i'll be mixing down a combination of analog and digital projects. i just want something i can "hit the tape HARD" with to achieve some nice emphasis and saturation. i have lots of outboard NR and compression and the like (no worries there). i've tried cassette but feel that i need a bit more "room on the tape" to achieve the desired result. i plan to RE-TRANSFER back to my Alesis Masterlink for CD burning. any recommendations? my Dad's RTR was a "console" type, sits FLAT on a desk and uses 1/4" tape. that's kinda what i'm after. let me know it you have any thoughts. cheers.

TEAC made a few of the old Radio Shack decks. I don't know which one your dad has.

The Tascam 22-2 is a really nice little half-track 2-channel deck for mixdown. It's based on the TEAC X-3 series, which is what some of the Radio Shack models were based on. The specs are nearly as good as its bigger brother, the 32-2, but without all the bells and whistles. The 22-2 is limited to 7" reels. It's still found in many pro studios -- used for "warming up" the final mix.

They are easy to find on eBay for $200 or less (shop wisely). Here are some specs. (Oh, one thing to remember about specs for some of the older machines is they are based on a standard reference and can be improved simply by having them setup for a hotter tape such as Quantegy/Ampex 456 or 499. The 22-2 is factory referenced to Quantegy/Ampex 407.)

* 1/4-inch tape, 2-track, 2-channel, 7-inch reel size
* 3 Head (erase / repro / record)
* Tape speed: 7.5 ips & 15 ips
* Freg. Response: 40Hz - 22KHz @ 15ips (+/-3db, 0VU)
* S/N: 68 db (A WTD @ 15ips)
* Adjacent Channel Separation: > 50db down @ 1KHz
* Erasure: > 70db down @ 1KHz
* Front panel L/R 1/4-inch Mic jacks and Mic level controls
* Front panel headphone jack
* Line input and output level controls
* Remote pause control capability
* Dimensions - 16.1 inches W x 12.9 inches H x 9.1 inches D
* Weight - 30.75 pounds

Here's a picture;

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/1c/0c/85_1.JPG

I have one -- I love it!

:cool:

Well, the ultimate in COMPACT is a Nagra IV. 1/4" stereo. Expensive as hell. :)

UHER was the "Poor mans Nagra" with their Report series. Built like tanks, and I thought mine sounded good last time I used it fifteen years ago. :) Built in speaker too, so you can use it as a reel-to-reel boom-box. I think the 4200 and 4400 was stereo. runs on batteries too. :)

Other than that, almost any reel-to-reel will do. A Revox (B77?)should sound good enough, and stand the abuse of moving it around. So should most Tascams, so the big issue there is rather weight. :)

Like Beck says, Tascam 22-2 is a great machine, small compact and dependable.
I have compared the 22 to 32 and they are very close in sound quality.

thanks, gang. i'm gonna call my Pops and ask him which model he has (he's used it for 15-20 years probably,..or thereabouts). i think the 22-2 may be the way to go, however. it looks solid and i like the VU meters. i DID find a pic of the Nagra and i must confess it looks pretty slick:

naudio_prod_timecode.jpg

it's kinda got a 007/Mission Impossible sorta look ("This tape will self destruct in 5 seconds") or even could pass for a data recorder on an old Apollo launch. heh heh

ON A FURTHER NOTE,....a friend of mine mentioned that (at least) one manufacturer made a 2-track cassette "mixdown" deck which only recorded in ONE direction on the tape (as opposed to 2 tracks on side A and 2 on side B). i think the tape head channels are spread slightly wider apart to allow correct placement of 2 tracks on the 1/8" format. i suppose this was done to enable a wider dynamic range or more headroom. hmmmmmm. obviously the tape could ONLY be replayed on THAT recorder but it does sound interesting. [1/4" tape is BOUND to produce "better sonics" though, i'm sure].

ANYWAY, many thanks for the valuable advices. i'm off to the web to research. cheers.

Last edited:
The Tascam 22-2 is the one you'd likely need.

The other ones you alluded would be is the Fostex A-2 and the Fostex Model 20.

Check 'em out. Then buy the Tascam. ;)

Vintage TX said:
Like Beck says, Tascam 22-2 is a great machine, small compact and dependable.
I have compared the 22 to 32 and they are very close in sound quality.

Also interesting to note that the 32-2 and 22-2 have the same replacement part numbers for the record head and the playback head.

:cool:

Cratinus said:
ON A FURTHER NOTE,....a friend of mine mentioned that (at least) one manufacturer made a 2-track cassette "mixdown" deck which only recorded in ONE direction on the tape (as opposed to 2 tracks on side A and 2 on side B). i think the tape head channels are spread slightly wider apart to allow correct placement of 2 tracks on the 1/8" format. i suppose this was done to enable a wider dynamic range or more headroom. hmmmmmm. obviously the tape could ONLY be replayed on THAT recorder but it does sound interesting. [1/4" tape is BOUND to produce "better sonics" though, i'm sure].[/B]

And hopefully the bumped up the speed to twice the casette speed too. Then it might actually sound pretty good. But yeah, a 1/4" will sound better and have a compatible format.

tascam 22-2

... i just saw a 22-2 on ebay that is at about $78 as we speak. i would actually buy it if i lived in the area, but i don't want to pay $50 to have it shipped. go check it out if you're interested... as others have said, they're nice compact machines that sound good.
good luck - jv

Back