Comments on my latest track please

Hey Chris,

Just a few things that I noticed:

1) You might pan the drums a little wider, or at least bring that crash cymbal in a little bit. It sounds funny with the drums in the center and the crash in the extreme left.

2) I'd turn down the vocals. This is purely my opinion, but I'd like to hear more music and less vocals. That may not be what you're going for, but the music is pretty cool and I'd make it more present in the mix.

3) There is some annoying silibance.

Cool song, though. I like the lead guitar stuff.

Hey dirtythermos, thanks for the feedback! :)

Are you hearing the hissing in the vocals, or elsewhere in the mix? I haven't heard that yet, or maybe I'm missing it. Can you be more specific, 'cause I'd love to get rid of it. ;)

The hard-panned crash symbol is a mystery, since all of the drum beats are programmed onto one track. I'm gonna have to check that one out.

And I'll definitely mix the vocals down. Thanks for that! :)

Cheers,

Chris

Cool catchy tune, great beat on the drums ...... Nice doubling on the vocals and even nicer harmonies. Good guitar tones/effects throughout especially the wah-ish sound (strat?).

Maybe as mentioned, bring the music up a just a tad in spots to balance the song a bit more. Not much though cause you want to keep the vocals clear.

Tasty solos on the guitar. I found the first one hotter than the second (early part of the song), so maybe bring up the second one to the same level. Ending solos are good level wise - that's where the music might need to be overall.

Minor mixing nits but nothing big needs to be done - it's really good overall.....

:) :) :) :) :)

bigmahon said:
Are you hearing the hissing in the vocals, or elsewhere in the mix?

Vocals. "I SSSwam acroSSSS to you today" It's not bad, and some of it may be MP3 conversion artifacts. Just a minor nitpick. ;)

Nice track, though. I like it.

I agree too much vocal. I would bury them. I like my tracks where the vocals are so buried that you cant make out what they are saying the first time.

Hi,
I really like the guitar intro - nice change in terms of guitar sounds.
Your vocal may be a little too forward.
The bass seems either exttremely rudimentary or or a little lost - perhaps a bit of both.
The Wha guitar in the R channel needs a boost.
The silibance wasn't as much an issue as I'd read - but you tweaked haven't you?
Cheers
rayC

bigmahon said:
Made a few changes to the song that I think have made it better. At least I hope so! :)

If I Told You

Well, I havent heard the original ;)

this one is fine. On my monitors it seems well balanced, its a catchy lil pop song.
The Wha guitar in the R channel needs a boost.

Yes, either that or center it, its kinda weird sitting there on its own. It seems TOO far right compared to the rest of the tune.

Vox are fine, its good and fun. :cool:

dirtythermos, thanks for checking back!

DavidK, thanks for the listen! Good feedback regarding the wah track. I didn't want it to be featured, but I wanted it to color the sound. If that makes any sense. ;)

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your time!

Chris

Very nice song but in my opinion vocals have spoiled it. Vocals need brave new style.
I could imagine Brian Adams singing it in some higher key and MAYBE a little bit faster tempo.
Vocals are too boring for such a great tune.

Anyway, great job!

sikter, thanks for the listen, and most of all thanks for the honest feedback! It is much appreciated. :)

Chris

Good tune!!

I really liked the hooky guitar part that comes in all the time. You did a nice job of breaking up the guitar sounds as well. :D I liked the solo's, but I didn't care for the change in tone durring the middle section....but that's my opinion - I feel that you should have stayed with that same tone all the way through that section instead of changing to a different tone after 4 measures (IMO :D ) The solo sections sounded sort of "Boston'ish / RockMan Sustainer" = Big midrange bump on that one.......but it worked.

I really duge the way the vocals were laid out, and unlike some here I really like the vocals to be heard. (What was the exact process on the vocals there anyway?? - double tracked and paned or something??)

I too hear that crash only/mostly in the right speaker........I didn't notice it that much the first time I gave it a listen, but now it's beating me in the head like a sledge hammer :D

Good catchy tune though. :D

Rick

First impression, is that all your verse words end with ay, today, clay, way, splay, day.

Think about mixing it up, maybe V1 with an ay word but change it on v2 so it doesn't seem so predictable and repetitive.

All in all not my kind of tune, way too poppy for me but I think it is very good at what it is, so dig in and keep tuning it until you get it dialed in.

IMO, Just needs some more elbow grease and you will have a keeper.

Edit: BTW, you have a nice voice, maybe lay some harmonies down.

Back