Comments and suggestions welcomed

foo

I was thinking it would be nice if I could get some feedback on my tune. And of course, I would be happy to give anyone my 2 cents on their stuff in return.
Really interesting to hear some great players and very interesting tunes - and some exceptional *recordings*

This was my first recording using my own gear and all done by me (except the vocals - written and sung by my co-conspirator Jefferson Jay).

PC running XP, Cubase SX, Mona soundcard, NS-10s, AT 4033 mic.

The guitars are a Strat and a 345 with a direct line out from a Mk IV Boogie. All the other sounds are factory sounds from a Yamaha Motif.

The sound I was going for was a 'Steely Dan'-ish cocktail jazzy pop sort of thing - probably the 'Aja' period.

It came out very bass-heavy - and the 'horn' and 'piano' parts weren't loud enough, but that was a function of not having enough time to make the deadline.

Any other observations would be much appreciated.
Perhaps if we identified our personal musical preferences it would give us a frame of reference to better understand each others tastes and comments.

What I've discovered is that in doing this type of recording you get so close to the tune that it's difficult to be objective any more.

Thanks

Well, foo, I am a big fan of your tune! I really like it a lot. I have no technical comments, the reason I like it so much is because it transports me somewhere - back to being a kid and riding in my mother's car. Which makes me want to say the tune is reminding me of a style that was popular back then (maybe Boz Scaggs or Dr. Hook or something... can't put my finger on it) Anyway, it moves me, and that makes a great tune in my book!

Great job!

Brad

Just to clarify, foo - I am not saying "Forgotten Blame" sounds old or anything like that - I was just describing where the song takes me in my mind, soul, heart, etc.

Brad

Brad,

That's very kind - I'm guessing you're about 30 and your Mom was listening to the same things I was about 20 years ago. Which means she's pretty cool - I don't care what Eddie and Monty say about her. (c;]

What's interesting about your tune is that it's in a style that I don't even know who I maight compare it to, or even how to describe the various parts.

The recurring rhythm thing (guitar, sound, ...?) that occurs on beats one and two is a pretty strong hook - by the middle of the song I really liked the way it kept showing up, driving the song along.

I'm going to listen some more - watch this space.

. . . and thanks!

Back