Comfy chair

sugarpie

This will seem like a lame question but what do y'all use or prefer as a chair for when you're recording or mixing in your studio? I have a garden variety computer/office chair which is fine but I want it to be more luxurious 😁 Perhaps a plush sheepskin cover or something. But for recording guitar or vocals maybe I should have a different chair. The armrests get in the way when playing guitar but they are great for relaxing when editing. Dilemma 🤔

I hate armrests, so in the studio I have a repurposed 60s/70s swing chair with no wheels, and a cushion. Gaming chairs can be useful - lots of those are armrest free,

Likewise . . . armrests are a hindrance. I went through a vareity of chairs, none of which proved to be comfortable or durable for the longer haul. Eventually I managed to get a chair (for nothing) from a call centre that was going though a refurbishment. That proved to be the winner. It is not pretty, but is solid and very comfortable.

I'm using a La-Z-Boy office chair with cushions and flip-up padded armrests. Not plush, but comfortable. I've been toying with the idea of getting a drummer's throne for guitar work, but I don't really need one yet.

I picked up this office chair a few years ago. The arms flip up, and I can roll around between the microphones and my computer while I'm recording acoustic guitar. It's been pretty comfortable.

Chair.jpg

I've been looking at that same chair as Rich shows at Staples (online it wasn't available, but they had a few at my local store). I've got a chair now with low back and swing-up arms which is ok, but not really deep enough for me to relax in.

I have a nice Tama drum throne in my acoustic drum room.
Bought a second one for my electronic kit, but that one now is in my other recording room.
It swivels easy, if you don't do it up too tight, and is height adjustable.
I also bought two Hercules colapsable piano X-Stools, with thick padding, which are also height adjustable.
I have used both the drum throne and the Hercules for gigs.
Avoid like the plague cheap poorly padded drum stools, which just make your nether regions go numb after 10 mins.
I have a delicate back, which comes back to haunt me at times, so I bought a Staples office chair to use at work.
The thing fell to pieces pretty quickly.

Fender has this item, from the custom shop to our home studios...and it looks pretty comfy.

Look at this treasure from Fender . The Studio Seat.
Screenshot 2023-01-10 095703.png
Screenshot 2023-01-10 095746.png

This'll sound kinda weird and it certainly shocked me to no end but, late last year I had a car trip from L.A. to New York and back. I knew I'd have to get extra help for the car seat and comfort. I came across a company called Cushion Lab. I was extremely skeptical but I thought I'd give them a go. They are nothing short of fantastic. I have a Herman Miller chair and when I got home, I added the seat and back cushion to the Herman Miller. So much better. I am willing to bet this combo could make even a simple Ikea chair uber luxurious.

Reactions: TAE
I picked up this office chair a few years ago. The arms flip up, and I can roll around between the microphones and my computer while I'm recording acoustic guitar. It's been pretty comfortable.

View attachment 124622
I have a very similar one to this Rich. It was cheap as chips £89 and I do like the armrests. I have had RSI problems in the past when I worked at HMRC with a mouse. So I got a really nice wireless keyboard with a touchpad for 23 quid... absolute bargain!
I use a desktop unit with a really nice big modern monitor. Just that and my smartphone, no ipad or laptop, thats all I need. Happy days man 🥰🥰🥰

I used a drum stool which is set aside most of the time for tracking, and a standard office chair for the other 99% of the time. My entire desk is also a hydraulic lift style, so I can stand when I want (bad back).

I've considered an armless chair or stool for mixing/office, but I can't sit at the desk without having to lean on something. I have terrible sitting posture, having to lean heavily on one armrest or the other, can't maintain a proper straight spine for more than 10 seconds. It's not painful or uncomfortable, I just can't hold it.

Those cushions @ Cushion Lab which @Joseph Hanna mentioned look good. My La-Z-Boy is much like Rich's shown above. I use a piece of dense foam as a seat cushion (no added back cushion) which helps alleviate the pressure of the front bolster against the back of my legs as it raises my body slightly.

I went to a used furniture outlet. I wanted wheels and removable armrests. Took me a couple of trips to find one I liked. Good thing is, if you don't find it the first time, go a week later and there will be a ton of new (different) stuff. Turns out the chair I got for 80 dollars was a Steelcase chair that sells for 699 dollars new. Took the arms off and been using it as guitar/recording/computer chair ever since. I have one down in the basement music room that I got from my mom's place. It's ok but the retractable part is broken fortunately at a height that works for me. I should get another one for when I have guests over.

Aeron by Henry Miller, all the way...it is still the best chair out there. You get what you pay for. Plenty available refurbished.

I sit a lot at work (TV production); the current facility wanted input on new chairs and when I recommended the Aerons, they just laughed at me...now we have the predictable cheap crap "office chairs" with dinky supports and they are awful.
A previous facility had nothing but Aerons. One could sleep in those if needed.

Got my wife a refurb Miller for her PC and she loves it. Now I need one for my PC setup and one for my recently-installed recording room.

C.

Aeron by Henry Miller, all the way...it is still the best chair out there. You get what you pay for. Plenty available refurbished.

I sit a lot at work (TV production); the current facility wanted input on new chairs and when I recommended the Aerons, they just laughed at me...now we have the predictable cheap crap "office chairs" with dinky supports and they are awful.
A previous facility had nothing but Aerons. One could sleep in those if needed.

Got my wife a refurb Miller for her PC and she loves it. Now I need one for my PC setup and one for my recently-installed recording room.

C.
I actually bought a very cheap chair with armrests for 89 pounds it moves well and has a pivot, very good value

The seat I had at jury duty was the most comfortable chair I ever sat in. It was a pedestal swivel base under a sort of egg-shaped construction, button tufted all over and very pillowy. The seat was concave, not flat. I sank into it but never seemed to bottom out, had a sensation of floating on air with no pressure points at all, even after sitting for more than thirty minutes. It was like being in some anti-gravity field. Can't find anything like it online.

Back