Come Together

Hello Forum

Would appreciate some feedback on this mix. It was recorded live with the band in the rehearsal room in one take.

Dave

recording-wise.... good mix, good balance, doesn't sound overly compressed. Personally, I like touch more base guitar,

style-wise... excellent arrangement, sorta beatles meet tull. well sung (not oversung).

performance-wise... ya'll are some skilled musicians, Bass is playin his ass off. drums and guitars solid and confident.

If I heard this in a club, I'd be very impresed.

It sounds like a band in a room. Not great, not terrible. Not anything I'd personally wanna "release", but it could work as a demo. The drummer has some nice fills but an awful meter. Guitars are too loud.

Well, I like the liveness and the mix and all of the sounds. Could use a little ambience.

But what is a little bit of a downer for me is that the signature opening riff...especially on the bass...isn' played right. That's like THE thing in the song. The substitutions don't have the same impact. Gotta have that octave-down two note thing. The impact of the original line is gone.

The other thing is that the bass player and drummer are over-playing. The fundamental musicality and groove gets shoved aside in a 'dig me' riot.

The guitar player oughta work out some basic stuff to improv on before getting in front of the mic. His pentatonic meandering is OK; but, jeez, he can't seem to make a line flow to a groove. Again, trying to do too much, with inadequate prep, and lost in his own thoughts....'what band?' He's almost better that Steve Stills. But some simpler, more timely and melodic riffage would be great. There's a place for what he does...getting all un-necessary; but it loses its impact if there's no contrasting, musical noodling.

Good sounds. But chaotic performances. Every dude for himself. The concentration should be on the music, blend, and dynamics....with more effort to provide tasteful accompaniment...working as a team...one thing: the song. Everybody is capable of playing the parts. But y' gotta have a plan to work with. Organize for the good of the music. "Play Together" MHO

Good sounds. But chaotic performances. Every dude for himself. The concentration should be on the music, blend, and dynamics....with more effort to provide tasteful accompaniment...working as a team...one thing: the song. Everybody is capable of playing the parts. But y' gotta have a plan to work with. Organize for the good of the music. "Play Together" MHO

Totally true. It's a mash of faux virtuosity that doesn't gel at all.

Agree with the comments so far. Real good sounds all around, especially the guitar. Sounded like four guys who all want to be "the guy." But a capable band if they were to work as a team.

Love that guitar sound though.

Hello all, thanks for the feedback.

I would like to point out that I am not in this band, I was only recording them. It was a recording in their rehearsal space, with the aim of having a demo to give to venues to get gigs. I hope this objective will be 100% successful, this is a good representation of how they sound. For a pub blues band they are probably one of the best around this area.

I was more after feedback on the actual recording/mix. I will take it as a compliment that the main focus has been on the band and their sound rather than the recording. I must have done a good job then :-). It will sound like a band in a room because that is what it was.

Dave

It sounds like a band in a room. Not great, not terrible. Not anything I'd personally wanna "release", but it could work as a demo. The drummer has some nice fills but an awful meter. Guitars are too loud.
Agreed - good post Greg.....pretty much describes what i was thinking....

I like it. Nice work for a live take. Vocal performance is great.

Gtr and bass aren't rhythmically tight with the drummer. Makes for an uneasy feel.

Edit: another listen, different system, and the bass level is OK.

Last edited:
Back