Combo vs. Half Stack?

SteveCPerrino

This is something that I've always wondered.

besides the obvious things like number of speakers, is there any other major differences between half stacks and combo amps? I know its probably a stupid question but I've always been curious.

Also while I'm on the subject, would a Vox Classic Plus Series AC50CP2 combo amp be a good choice for my studio if I mainly record punk/indie/folk punk stuff?

This is something that I've always wondered.

besides the obvious things like number of speakers, is there any other major differences between half stacks and combo amps? I know its probably a stupid question but I've always been curious.

Not at all. Consider working your amp, the stage/backwall spill, reflections- open vs closed back is fairly large. In some ways 'diffuse is cool. I'm going with focus' for now.

I think the big difference is most combos have open back cabs as oposed to stacks which normall have closed backs. This makes a big tonal difference.

I realize there are exceptions to both.

For me, I had a Roadking 2x12 combo. The thing weighed like 100 pounds.

I built a headcab for it and bought a 2x12 closed back cab.

The head and 2x12 cab are much easier to lug around then the 2x12 combo.

I also have a Mark IV short head and 1x12 cab. That is real easy to lug around.

Been hard pressed to find even a 1x12 tube combo that was that forgiving to the back.

I have a 1x12 Marshall DSL401 tube combo. And while I love the tone for rehearsals and jamming, I really would like to drive a cabinet and push more air out in the sound for gigs.

...you have ears?

yeah and some cabs will sound better than others due to construction.i have a peavey 4x12 that has a lot more low end then my ampeg 4x12.the peavey is built with a piece of wood seperating the top half and bottom half of the cab.the ampeg has pieces of wood that seperate the speakers but they're ony a few inches deep and don't enclose each speaker compartment.also the ampeg has insulation material stapled into the back to dampen the bass frequencies.i took out the insulation but it gave it a horrible low end rumble so it went back in.i want to experiment with the peavey and throw some insulation in it to dampen it some and try and get the cabs to sound a little more consistent with each other.type of wood used,what kind of speakers,etc. all play a huge diffference.

I think the big difference is most combos have open back cabs as oposed to stacks which normall have closed backs. This makes a big tonal difference.

I realize there are exceptions to both.

For me, I had a Roadking 2x12 combo. The thing weighed like 100 pounds.

I built a headcab for it and bought a 2x12 closed back cab.

The head and 2x12 cab are much easier to lug around then the 2x12 combo.

I also have a Mark IV short head and 1x12 cab. That is real easy to lug around.

Been hard pressed to find even a 1x12 tube combo that was that forgiving to the back.

Yeah, the boutique type combos are so overbuilt that they weigh a ton. Year ago I unloaded a Fender Twin II because I didn't need the volume or the weight, and bought a Matchless SC-30 thinking that a single 12 would be MUCH lighter and easier to lug around. The Matchless weighs almost as much as the Twin, just in a smaller package.:rolleyes:

In many cases the combos don't have quite as high wattage as the equivalent head units for half stacks. It means you can push the power amp tubes in combos a little harder before they get too loud to be bareable.

That said, my favourite amp is my Peavey 6505 half-stack.

I am suprrised no one has pointed this out, yet: As pre-amp tubes are inherently microphonic (even the best, when brand new, are, at least a little) vibrations from the speaker and cab can sometimes feed back thru the pre-amp tubes. A separate head/cab design provides some isolation, and you can take whatever steps you deem necessary to isolate the two boxes, as you see fit.

That said, I only own combos...

I am suprrised no one has pointed this out, yet: As pre-amp tubes are inherently microphonic (even the best, when brand new, are, at least a little) vibrations from the speaker and cab can sometimes feed back thru the pre-amp tubes. A separate head/cab design provides some isolation, and you can take whatever steps you deem necessary to isolate the two boxes, as you see fit.

That said, I only own combos...
I imagine that some on line tube stores are responsible for spreading that myth, but it is completely untrue.
While it is possible for a brand new tube to be microphonic, all tubes(preamp or otherwise)are not inherently microphonic.
That aside I think te biggest difference between combo's and stacks is the amount of air you move and the volume level required to do so with either.

Back