Combining DAW and Standalone HD Recorder

KiFF BluEs

For the last month I've been trying to decide between a computer-based or a standalone setup. Each have their strengths and their weaknesses and I figured I do not want to lose out on anything, so why not combine both methods? I've seen people's gear list comprise of an Alesis HD24 and a Presonus Firepod.

However I don't really understand exactly how this "hybrid" setup works. For example, is there a way to just plug the HD24 into the outs of the Firepod and have it work with Cubase? Exactly how would it work and how would I be recording? Thanks :)

You need 24 channels of digital I/O on the computer and you just use the HD as the analog I/O. A setup like that is nice for tracking because you don't even need the computer hooked up. Then you can bounce tracks from the HD to the computer and back for processing and mixing.

TexRoadkill said:
You need 24 channels of digital I/O on the computer and you just use the HD as the analog I/O. A setup like that is nice for tracking because you don't even need the computer hooked up. Then you can bounce tracks from the HD to the computer and back for processing and mixing.

That is what I do, I think!

I don't record on my pc, I record on my HD because I have learn many of the shortcuts and I love the hands on appeal. When I am done I bounce every track, individually to my pc (SONAR) and I mix and tweak there, then I'll send it to wavelab and mess around with it there, and then back into Sonar when completed. It may be a long process, but it is one that I have got very familiar with!

Some of the people you see with a stand-alone unit and PC software listed as their equipment might also simply be recording on theit 24-track stand-alone, mixing it down to 2 tracks and then just ransferring the 2-track stereo mix to their PC for mastering in Wavelab or whatever they might be usning. That's my case.

I track to an HD24. I connect that to the computer with a MOTU 2408mkII. It's the best of both worlds. I use stand alone mic preamps for recording and I mix down back through the HD24/MOTU into an analog console back to the computer.

I used to run a stand alone and PC together via MMC (MIDI Machine Control). I could track/mix with either simultaniously. It was a real bummer trying to get both to work together but when I finally figured it out I had a cool system. I was running Cakewalk pro audio 9 and a Fostex DMT8. I did MIDI and direct recording on the PC and mics were done on the DMT8. I ditched that system for a more powerful DAW system and would never go back.

Have you looked into the Tascam X-48?
It's the next generation of the MX2424, which was a 24 track hard disk recorder with a software front end (MixView). Very slick, although a bit outdated, as the company that made MixView went out of business and it was never supported past OS9.

Anyway the Tascam X-48 is the new and improved 48 track hard disk recorder with a software front end (acts like a DAW). Haven't use it, but done a lot of work with the MX2424/MixView combo, and it's a great piece of machinery.

http://www.tascam.com/Products/x48.html

I use my HD recorder purely as converters to interface with an RME Hammerfall 9652. The reason I like the HD recorder so much is that it is the only true low latency situation I have seen concerning digital equipment. Basically, I do my rela time monitoring off of the analog outputs from the HD recorder going to the tape inputs of my console. Simultaneously I am recording the digital outputs from the HD recorder via lightpipe into Cubase through the Hammerfall card. This way i have the best of both worlds. I get the ease an familiarity of analog monitoring with no latency worries, plus I also get the speed and simplicity of digital editing and completely recallable mixes.

Not to mention I can also haul the HD recorder with me to shows to record them and then just pop the hard drive right onto my removable bay in my tower and have instant access to everything from within Cubase:)

KiFF BluEs said:
For the last month I've been trying to decide between a computer-based or a standalone setup. Each have their strengths and their weaknesses and I figured I do not want to lose out on anything, so why not combine both methods? I've seen people's gear list comprise of an Alesis HD24 and a Presonus Firepod.

However I don't really understand exactly how this "hybrid" setup works. For example, is there a way to just plug the HD24 into the outs of the Firepod and have it work with Cubase? Exactly how would it work and how would I be recording? Thanks :)

you would record onto the alesis using whatever preamps you desire. to transfer them to the computer you can use an ADAT lightpipe connection (which i imagine 99% of people use), and if i'm not mistaken theres also an ethernet connection that allows you to transfer raw wav files (and takes hours)

I don't even hit record on my HD recorder. I let the unit do the conversion and immediately spit out the ADAT lightpipe to be recorded directly in Cubase while the analog outputs simultaneously spit signal to my console for latency free monitoring.

I record on a Tascam MX2424, then yank the drive, put it in my PC, and import the wav files into Sonar. I could do it via the ethernet connection, but it's slower. One thing I would truly miss if I did not use the MX 2424 is the UI. It looks just like DAW software, and I can use my laptop or PC as a remote with full functionality. The best part about the UI (tho it has a lot of editing features, I don't use them any more), is that when the producer says, go back to solo X somewhere in the tune on track Y, I can instantly go there because I can see it. I can also see if a level has gotten too hot, etc, etc. It's just like a DAW only... No latency, no drivers, 24 tracks A to D, or digital, can punch all 24 in and out with no clicks, pops, or crackles, SMPTE, MIDI, and video sync. It's basically a dedicated RISC.

I would like to track directly to my PC, but getting 24 tracks to behave all at the same time as well as they do on an HD recorder can be expensive.

Poco

Back