Combining 16 Bit And 24 Bit Tracks In One Project: Help Please

Mike Freze

I have created my own audio samples with Cakewalk Home Studio2 XL (yes, I know it's outdated). But it does have a great loop creation program.

The problem is this: I have created a lot of loop samples there but you can only get a 16 bit recording from them.

Now that I use Reaper as my software choice (so amazing), I might record a new project with a 24 bit setting for all tracks. Cool. But if I import a loop from Home Studio2as a new track and it's limited to 16 bit, here lies the problem.

Can I have a 16 bit import into Reaper on one track while all my other Reaper tracks are recorded as 24 bit?? Will there be a probelm when I bounce (render, whatever) to a single, stereo file later to burn to CD?? Will this work even though the looped 16 bit track might be a less quality sounding track than the other tracks? I can live with that. But the final conversion??

Mike Freze

Thanks, Geg, but help just a bit more. I know you are a Reaper man. I now am sold (I even just got my "Reaper Power" book and I'm truly amazed of what this program has to offer. I'm sold because of people like YOU. Seriously. That's why I left Cubase LE.

But you can do better than that. Sure, try and see. But (in your opinion) will it make any difference? Will there be any problems in the final bounce??

Mike Freze

Nope. It's going to CD, right? You can record at 20 billion bit depth and it will still dither down to 16-bit for CD.

Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick, but you need to just try stuff instead of freaking out and asking questions about every little thing. You'll learn way more by just doing stuff yourself.

You know what? I wasn't sure what would happen if you mix 16 and 24 bit in the one project. I might have done it in the past, but I couldn't remember specifically. So I was curious. So I did just what Greg said. It took me 30 seconds to load up an existing Reaper project (24 bit), 5 secs to insert an old 16 bit file from somewhere . . . and the job was done. That's how easy it is to try something.

You know what? I wasn't sure what would happen if you mix 16 and 24 bit in the one project. I might have done it in the past, but I couldn't remember specifically. So I was curious. So I did just what Greg said. It took me 30 seconds to load up an existing Reaper project (24 bit), 5 secs to insert an old 16 bit file from somewhere . . . and the job was done. That's how easy it is to try something.

That's crazy talk!

Hey, Greg. Thanks for the advice. I'm not posting as many threads as I used to (I'm sure you noticed) . Your advice is well-taken. I've been actually playing around with Reaper lately (using my "Reaper Power!" book I bought) and I'm learning a lot. So MUCH to offer with Reaper!!

In the future, I will only post threads that relate to specific problems I may encounter with Reaper after I tried to do what I can do. No posting threads for anything that comes across my mind like I did before.

Like you said, TRY your program, play around with it, use your manual, THEN ask questions if you have problems.

Before, I was ONLY reading manuals & books to get a grasp on what home recording was all about: but without actually playing around with my installed software!! I guess I thought that I need to spend months learning the basics, learning the terms people use in home recording, etc. without even using my Reaper program along with it.

Now I understand. Thanks for your advice: you are so kind. Now, I'm creating audio samples in Reaper, using automation, recording multiple takes on one track, etc. Just DOING IT (like you said) solves a lot of things if you only read books for a year but didn't actually try what you learned for real in your software program.

Peace. Mike

Back