Combined control room and booth?

Agent47

Dismember
I know a lot of people do it, and I'm thinking of doing this for my own commercial studio to cut costs. I'm planning on creating a studio for speech/radio/ad recording, and would have a desk at one end of the room with the kit on/under it, and in the centre of the room a round table for the artists. Maybe some kind of partition to reduce desk noise (mouseclicks, rustles etc.) going to the mics.

Everyone in the room would of course be on headphones.

Any advice on this kind of set-up? I know it's not normal for non-musical audio work... :)

If all possible I would strongly suggest a seperate space for recording. Spoken word and music are very similiar and both would require reduction of outside noise. A small room seperate from your control room would be ideal however I frequently record in my control room, esp if recording myself.

I'm planning on creating a studio for speech/radio/ad recording

I have a large one-room studio and I wouldn't work any other way. Having immediate direct communications with the talent is very convenient. Now, if you were recording bands for hire with live drummers, that's another story. But for voices it's great. Your idea for a gobo makes sense too, to keep out computer fan noise etc as well as mouse clicks. Just avoid squeaky chairs. :D

--Ethan

Cool. Nice to hear from someone who actually works with this method! I'm told that some BBC radio studios are set-up like this, so maybe it's more common than I thought.

You're right about the squeeky chairs. I'd also have to make sure that any clients/producers are completely quiet which could be difficult! :)

Back