College Student Recording An Album - Need Help with Economical Room Treatment

AshX

I'm a music major heading into my final year in college. As part of our capstone project, I have to record an album by May 2015. I plan to kill two birds with one stone by using this as the debut album for my band and trying my luck after I graduate. I live in a house off-campus and have a very modest recording set-up in the basement, but I believe it is enough to record vocals and guitar. I do not intend to mix the album in this room since I am still learning and only have about a year and a half to finish tracking, in between school, work, and so on, but I have all the songs written and feel confident I can get this done.

The room is 12 ft by 14 ft. There are some concrete cinderblocks behind my computer and monitors and to the left of the desk, and what I think is some very hollow dry wall around the rest of it. The ceiling splits down 1 or 2 inches directly in the middle of the room and then about another 7-9 inches to cover what I guess would be pipes around the concrete. There is also a pipe that follows them. There is a gap where the door is and that is approximately 15 inches deep to the door when closed.

Here are some photos (some panorama)

image-2.jpegimage.jpegimage-6.jpegimage-5.jpegimage-4.jpegimage-3.jpeg

I realize that the room I'm working with is not ideal for various reasons: low, irregular ceilings; dry wall and cinderblocks; and other idiosyncrasies. Audiophiles and pro-engineers would probably drown themselves before using this room - but I'm not looking for perfection, but rather to improve on what I have the best I can.

I'm not allowed to drill any (big) holes in the wall or make any structural changes (it's a rental) and I'm not very handy with tools or anything like that. I also am not sure if I'll stay in this house long after I graduate, so if I would be able to re-use anything for another room in the future in some way, that would be great, but I don't expect it. Obviously, I'm trying to be economical about it so if I can make some changes for a couple hundred bucks (no more than $350, probably) to at least fix some of the problems, then that would be great.

Thank you so much for any help any of you can provide. I'm pretty clueless in this department.

Are you handy with a few tools? Best investment would be to build panels with rockwool. You can go cheaper and easier by just using thick blankets to stop some of the reflections (did I just say that?) but that is only working on part of the issues you have in that room.

Are you handy with a few tools? Best investment would be to build panels with rockwool. You can go cheaper and easier by just using thick blankets to stop some of the reflections (did I just say that?) but that is only working on part of the issues you have in that room.

Hey Jimmy,

I don't have the tools to cut the wood for the panels. Can they do that at Home Depot?

Can you give me an overview of the problems with the room, from a technical standpoint? I know bass traps are a must, but as far as other reflections and where I would put blankets or panels I don't know where to even begin...

Okay, so you know that bass traps are a must. Good. Corners would hold the most bass and should be treated pretty well. As for high end reflections, if you want to use the blanket thing then go for it. You could hang them around the back of the mic but not too close. You don't want to suck out the highs.

That's my problem with them. It's so easy to make things boxy and unnatural sounding. Instead of the blanket gobo thing, what I'd do is try to treat the walls to eliminate parallel flat surfaces. That'll take care of a lot of the flutter echoing and leave you to worry about the bass traps and such. Jimmy definitely knows more than I do about bass trap placement so I'll reserve my comments on it until he chimes back in.

If possible, move the desk a little further away from the wall (5-10 inches)and treat the wall behind it.

It's a start. The more you DIY, the further your budget can take you.

Hey Jimmy,

I don't have the tools to cut the wood for the panels. Can they do that at Home Depot?

Can you give me an overview of the problems with the room, from a technical standpoint? I know bass traps are a must, but as far as other reflections and where I would put blankets or panels I don't know where to even begin...

Home Depot will cut them for you. I just had them cut enough for 8 panels. They did 8 - 1x3x8's in 4 feet in like two seconds and 2 1x3x8's in 2 foot cuts in like 10 secs. While I could cut them, I couldn't do it that fast, plus I didn't have to clean up the mess. They had rock wool already there, I think one bag will be enough for 8 (I think there are 8 2x4x2" sheets), cost so far, $90.

Here is a good vid. The guy keeps it simple: Sound treatment

I am sure others will have some better tips, but that will for sure get you moving in the right direction.

I'm a music major heading into my final year in college. As part of our capstone project, I have to record an album by May 2015.

Hello Ashx and welcome to HR. Ok, I'm here to help you sort out your direction so to speak. As a long term member here, I understand why you are here. In that regard, after reading you entire first post, speaking from 40 years as a musician first, and recording enthusiast second, I want to offer an opinion if you don't mind.

First off, I don't know exactly what a "capstone project" means in regards to your major in music, other than you suggest that a recording of some sorts is some kind of criteria by which if you accomplish and submit it to those who accredit your academic work will sign off on your graduation credentials. Is that correct?

Hello Ashx and welcome to HR. Ok, I'm here to help you sort out your direction so to speak. As a long term member here, I understand why you are here. In that regard, after reading you entire first post, speaking from 40 years as a musician first, and recording enthusiast second, I want to offer an opinion if you don't mind.

First off, I don't know exactly what a "capstone project" means in regards to your major in music, other than you suggest that a recording of some sorts is some kind of criteria by which if you accomplish and submit it to those who accredit your academic work will sign off on your graduation credentials. Is that correct?

Hi, chronicle. I'm part of the honors college at my university and in order to continue getting the scholarship money that comes with being enrolled in the honors college (the only reason I can attend school) we have to sign up for what's called an 'honors track' culminating with an honors project. For my music major, I have to complete a capstone project.

So, in addition to doing some writing I was able to convince both department chairs to let me record an album and then to perform a track from it, talk about the album, recording, etc. in May 2015.

I'll admit that the thought was not completely school-minded. I very much want to kill two birds with one stone. I wanted to attend other music schools in which you can use their studios and record a finished product for when you get out. This school doesn't offer that sort of program, and studio use, although possible, is difficult and the results are determined by the experience and skills of a student in the audio engineering program and their semester and final projects. I already started this project for myself, but this felt like a nice way to impose a deadline.

tl,dr: Yes, this final project is a requirement for my graduation.

Hi, chronicle. I'm part of the honors college at my university and in order to continue getting the scholarship money that comes with being enrolled in the honors college (the only reason I can attend school) we have to sign up for what's called an 'honors track' culminating with an honors project. For my music major, I have to complete a capstone project.

So, in addition to doing some writing I was able to convince both department chairs to let me record an album and then to perform a track from it, talk about the album, recording, etc. in May 2015.

I'll admit that the thought was not completely school-minded. I very much want to kill two birds with one stone. I wanted to attend other music schools in which you can use their studios and record a finished product for when you get out. This school doesn't offer that sort of program, and studio use, although possible, is difficult and the results are determined by the experience and skills of a student in the audio engineering program and their semester and final projects. I already started this project for myself, but this felt like a nice way to impose a deadline.

tl,dr: Yes, this final project is a requirement for my graduation.

Hi Ashx. Ok, while you are the only one that can define the parameters of your endeavor, I will offer this. You are wasting precious learning time of your primary objective. Forget trying to overcome the demands of studio building learning curve AND audio engineering in contrast to your music academia. Focus on your music first, outsource the recording tech, and get on with the journey of creativity to which your soul is most accustomed. That is my BEST advice. And I say that as a 40 yr musician who should have listened to his own advice.:laughings:

Hi Ashx. Ok, while you are the only one that can define the parameters of your endeavor, I will offer this. You are wasting precious learning time of your primary objective. Forget trying to overcome the demands of studio building learning curve AND audio engineering in contrast to your music academia. Focus on your music first, outsource the recording tech, and get on with the journey of creativity to which your soul is most accustomed. That is my BEST advice. And I say that as a 40 yr musician who should have listened to his own advice.:laughings:

I appreciate the advice chronicle, but it's not something I can afford to do. Of course I'd love to go into a recording studio and focus on recording the songs and let someone else handle all the technical stuff - but I can't. I went into a studio when I was 17 years old in high school with a band of mine and it was a bad experience, both financially and otherwise. I'm much older now, but I don't want to pay by the hour just to decide I want to scrap it and start again.

I will not be mixing the project. I know my limits very well which is why I use a lot of virtual instruments (hoping to get the full Komplete 9 series at some point) and bypass using the 'room' as much as possible. I'm a drummer, and obviously would prefer to track drums, but I'm programming everything at the moment and if I can get into a studio either at school or somewhere else then I'll do that. I do not intend to track drums, that's for sure.

All I really need is some economical solutions to record stuff that may not be perfect but can work. I don't have a producer, I don't have a band - if I'm lucky a friend from college comes and helps engineer so I don't have to. It's all up to me, and I'm all right with that. Basically all I want is to be able to record vocals with as little room noise and reflections as possible and maybe a guitar amp. A friend of mine has a 1x12 iso cab he offered to give me, so I'll see if that pans out.

All in all, I don't mean to discount your advice - I appreciate it, I sincerely do. It's just not an option and to be honest, I don't feel experienced enough to go into a studio by myself and track everything and not be left with a $5,000 studio bill.

Home Depot will cut them for you. I just had them cut enough for 8 panels. They did 8 - 1x3x8's in 4 feet in like two seconds and 2 1x3x8's in 2 foot cuts in like 10 secs. While I could cut them, I couldn't do it that fast, plus I didn't have to clean up the mess. They had rock wool already there, I think one bag will be enough for 8 (I think there are 8 2x4x2" sheets), cost so far, $90.

Here is a good vid. The guy keeps it simple: Sound treatment

I am sure others will have some better tips, but that will for sure get you moving in the right direction.

I checked that out. Very cool, for sure. I'm really not too handy so I'm not sure how possible that would be. I imagine I wouldn't need as many panels, hopefully? Do they sell used pre-made panels anywhere?

I appreciate the advice chronicle, but it's not something I can afford to do.

Hey, no problem. I just thought I'd suggest what I did as it sounded like the best way to go. But like I said..only you know what you are dealing with.

All in all, I don't mean to discount your advice - I appreciate it, I sincerely do. It's just not an option and to be honest, I don't feel experienced enough to go into a studio by myself and track everything and not be left with a $5,000 studio bill.

Well, in that case...ya do what ya gotta do.

I checked that out. Very cool, for sure. I'm really not too handy so I'm not sure how possible that would be. I imagine I wouldn't need as many panels, hopefully?

Unfortunately, in small rooms, you need as much bass trapping as you can get. And it ain't cheap, even building them yourself. As an example, I purchased three sheets of Knauf-4"x48"x120"- and three sheets of 3"x48"x120", to cut up into my requirements..and that set me back $600...and it STILL wasn't enough to do what I needed.:( And my room was only 14'x21'.

Do they sell used pre-made panels anywhere?
Yes. There are many vendors, RealTraps being one...
RealTraps - Home

Unfortunately, the word "economical" is a misnomer when it comes to manufactured Traps. Especially in a room your size.

But, only you know how deep your pockets are. One person's "economical" may be another's OUT OF THE QUESTION.:facepalm:

In any event, good luck with your recording project.

Nice looking, but I don't like the fact that the abosrbant material is not specified, only as 'the best'. Looks like absoprbtion below 80Hz drops right off.

I see. But I suppose they're better than nothing at that price range?

For sure - but I assume at least having something would be better than a completely untreated room? I dunno :guitar:

Okay, so you know that bass traps are a must. Good. Corners would hold the most bass and should be treated pretty well. As for high end reflections, if you want to use the blanket thing then go for it. You could hang them around the back of the mic but not too close. You don't want to suck out the highs.

That's my problem with them. It's so easy to make things boxy and unnatural sounding. Instead of the blanket gobo thing, what I'd do is try to treat the walls to eliminate parallel flat surfaces. That'll take care of a lot of the flutter echoing and leave you to worry about the bass traps and such. Jimmy definitely knows more than I do about bass trap placement so I'll reserve my comments on it until he chimes back in.

If possible, move the desk a little further away from the wall (5-10 inches)and treat the wall behind it.

It's a start. The more you DIY, the further your budget can take you.

Can I ask, other than bass traps in the 4 corners, how many panels do you think I would need for high-end reflections? 2 behind the speakers, 2 on the wall behind the desk, and 2 on every other wall? Would that be a good start, or am I just better off buying 3 blankets to put around my mic? Like you said I don't want to go from no treatment to boxy...

Last edited:
Back