Collapsing A stereo file into mono using Cubase LE4

Jmoog

I am wondering if there is a way that I can collapse a stereo file into mono using Cubase LE4. I have a set of files that are mono but the music is unevenly distributed between the two channels. The right channel is way louder than the left (like 80% right, 20% left).

When I import these files into LE4 they show up as a stereo file. I was hoping to collapse these files to true mono to get the sound centered between both channels but I cannot figure out how to do that. If that cannot be done then I would like to just take the strong right channel and try to center it between the left and right channels since the music is all mono anyway.

Can anyone help?

You should be able to export it as a mono wave file.

Or if that fails use iTunes to do it. If you have iTunes change the import settings to wav and select mono. Then in itunes right click the song and convert it to a wav.

This is how i do it on my Mac:

First turn on "Solo" on a track you want to convert. Then make sure the Left and Right locators are at the start and finish of the audio file you want to convert. I'm not sure if they need to be but that's the way I'm used to from an older Cubase version.

Then go up top to the "File" menu and go to "Export" and then "Audio Mixdown". That should bring up this dialog box:

EXPORT.jpg

Under "Where" (circled in green) you put where the track will be exported to. That could be your Project Folder.

Set the Resolution and Sample Rate as you want.

Under "Channels" (red) make sure it is set to "Mono" and hit save. Then you can delete the stereo track on Cubase and drag the Mono track back into Cubase.

If you wanted to (perhaps easier) you could check "Pool" and "Audio Track" and the new Mono version would be automatically put back into Cubase, you wouldn't have to drag it.

Back