Collaboration on the internet with VF-160

fabkebab1

Hi there guys -

I did a search for this and couldnt find it-

I am trying to do some online collaboration with some friends, who dont have a VF-160 (they use some other multittracker, which is computer based).

I am trying to collaborate like this:

1 ) I record the backing music, then send a mixed mp3 to them with no singing

2 ) They load it onto thier multitracker and add a vocal part

3 ) They encode the vocal part into mp3 and send it back to me

4 ) How do I then get thier vocal back onto my VF160 so that it is in time with the original music? Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!!

AndrewR

either make sure everyone has a metronome, and agree on a certain beats per minute. Or you can record your part first and just send it to them, so they can record and listen back to that.

I can get everyone in time (140 beats per minute) and they then send me thier vocals - How can I synchronize thier vocals so that they line up with my backing music?

Collaborating

Hey, I was just re-reading this forum and wondering how you made out with the collaboration thing. I collaborate with others online, also. I find that if everyone records from the beginning of the project, lining up parts should be trouble-free. I stress, "should be". I'd be interested in knowing how things are working for you. Kirk

Hmmm... Without knowing some particulars (i.e. how are you mixing to mp3 and what your partners are using to do the vocals) I'll just give you my methods for swapping tracks between users:

I don't send an mp3... I will mix down to a stereo Wave file and send it to them on either a CD or ZIP disk. Waves are too big to be emailed.
By using an MP3 as your transportation track, you are immediately losing a lot of your recording quality... Searches through the BBS will cover that in more detail for you.

When the Wave file reaches it's destination, it SHOULD be able to be imported into whichever computer-based workstation is in use.... Since their Multi-tracker is now essentially working with a mix of the same raw tracks on your VF160, they will be recording to a true representation of what you have.
Make sure they record the vocals into their own seperate track(s) and not mixed in with the Wave file you sent, and then they need to save the resulting track(s) as individual Wave files.

They can now send you their finished vocal Waves and you can import them back into your VF160 (your manual will explain how). The vocal track should fall neatly into place with the rest of your tracks, allowing you to mix down a complete version of your music.

This was a pretty generic explanation, but it works great for me swapping between my VF16 and the assorted mechanics in use by other folks I record with (Cakewalk DAW, MR8, and even an old Tascam 424).

Hope this helps a little anyway...

I'd agree the WAV file export is the best method.

There is another way which is not as good. Do the backing track, do an internal mix down. Burn a CDaudio of the track. Send the CDR through the snail mail to them, they can import the CD audio to their system, add their vocal and remix it back down.

Back