Collaboration! Let's Go To Bed - The Cure/ Jake + Bruce

jrlemonz

Here's a little ditty for ya.
It is me (jrlemonz) on guitar, bass and drums.
On the vocals, it's none other then Mr. Blue Bear Sound, Bruce Valeria.

without further-ado:

Jake

DAMN!!!!!

That shit rocks!!!

Bruce and Jake...great fucking job....excuse my language....the drums frickin ROCK!!!!...guitar part is thick....vocals...well...they were AWESOME....

I'm just downloading it now... I haven't heard the end result yet! (and I'm on dialup, so it's SLOW!) :(

Thanks for the kind words about the vocals, Gidge! I like Jake's arrangement for the tune... I played it and the original for my fiancee and she liked Jake's version better!

Nice job, Jake!

Bruce
:)

Last edited:
hehehehehe.... I dunno, hard to outdo the Cure. Maybe it is more mass-appealing though. Thanks for the kind words (my extremely cheap drum kit, mics and playing ability thank you too).

Jake

Kind of a cool song. Sort of Euro Poppy Hard Rock or something, with a bit of tickle of "na na na na na" to it. Fun and light, yet a bit of balls to it.

From the pronounced, over exxagerated hissy sound, I am guessing a NT1!!! But that could be bad digital eq too....:(. Whatever mic it was, it was extremely exxagerated in the upper mids without offering much in the way of detail. Or maybe I am hearing bad digital compression?

My first complaint is the download speed. Averaged 6KB/sec!!!! THAT was on DSL!!!! THAT is like dial up download speeds! Get a new server....:(

Sounds like a POD on the guitars. I don't like POD's. They sound phoney.

Snare was sort of splatty sounding.

Bass was cool.

Lead guitar tone was sort of like I used to get running the line out from my old Marshall amp. Or, like running a clean guitar to the record in's on a cassette deck and blasting the hell out of the preamp. Fuzzy and stuff.

I would have slowed down the delay on the vocal another 50 ms or so to make it a hair more distinct.

I don't hear the ride cymbal.

The mp3 sounded distorted, like it was overlimited, yet, the meters never got anywhere close to 0dB. In fact, it never got above -2dB. That is a lot of left over dynamic range. Compression over the whole mix? If so, take it off. It is "crowding" the sound. The Waves L1 at mastering time will yield much hotter levels without that distortion sound.

I do like the energy and spunk to this though. You guys should work on some more stuff! Bruces turn to put it together....:)

Ed

Not a POD, but Line 6 nonetheless, it's a Flextone Amp with the Effects Send run out into the card, and then the Antares Mic Modeler on it to give it some sort of cabinet modeling. I usually mic the amp, and ti osund much better, but I didn't this time since my cab was at my bands jam room. 3 flights of stairs + 100 lb cab = no fun for Jake.

The snare drum is EXTREMELY cheap, and osunds quite like that in person. The overheads I used were really cheap dynamic mics that didn't pick the ride up well at all. I've upgraded to some Octava's for overheads, and they work MUCH better.

I don't have any compression on the overall mix, it might be the MP3 compression keeping the levels down, I've had probelms with that before.

My web provider (Telocity) is HORRIBLE. I have a 784k line, yet I can only hit 6-8k a second usually. They better fix it soon like they say they are going to, or I'm going back to Earthlink, and housing my webpage somewhere else (Earthlink=Dynamic IP).

I'm all for collaborating again, and doing a better job at recording my tracks, I never was quite happy with the ones I layed down for this one. That and I now have some better equipment (drum overheads, new board replacing my behringer) so i should be able to do something a little more up to par.

Jake

Heh-heh...

Admittedly, the MP3 "conversion" seemed to have changed the vocal track's character somewhat... 'cos the vocal track (lead and backgrounds) as it left here (Blue Bear Sound) was actually quite balanced sonically.

Unless Jake did something nasty with Behringer EQ!!! ;)
:D

I tried to cut the vocal using an NT2 - which tends towards being bright, but smooth (slight mid dip)... when I did it matched the original Cure version (in terms of balance and clarity) fairly closely, so I figured I'm on the right track....... When I cut the vocal to Jake's track, it didn't fit the new style/arrangement at all... too smooth and no "edge" as would be implied by the "edgier" bed tracks... Too clean and detailed didn't work at all!

In the end, I didn't get the exact vocal sound I wanted (I didn't have the time to experiment more, otherwise I would have!!!) but the closest I came was with a lowly SM57... giving the voice a harshness (and compromising some detail, of course!) to better reflect the song's arrangement. Recorded flat, lo-cut enabled, no pop filter - and in the vocal beds I gave Jake, there were still a couple of low breathe pops still audible that didn't get gated. When done, I felt it gave the tune a kinda of "live-sound" sort of feel and sound that worked reasonably well...

Kinda cool to be able to collaborate like that though! Was fun, Jake! Thanks!!

BTW, anyone want Gidge's foreskin?? I don't need it, but it might make a good pop-screen! (ewww!)

:D :D

Bruce

Didn't run it through the Behringer, I mix completely inside the software. I'll try recompressing it with a different encoder later. Maybe that will fix all this stuff.

It was fun for me too Bruce. You're the first to actually do what you said you would and get me his tracks! It's great! I've had many people flake out on me.

Jake

hi jrlemonz,

this is a litlle brighter mix than what I am accustomed to hearing from you. It works well for this song though. cool.

Cool singing bruce. The vox sounded nice but kinda covered up top.

keep it up

great vibe, i love this song, your voice is great at aping robert smith, andi like the style you chose to cover in. but i really dislike the guitar sound. this is the kind of direct guitar sound we used to get before there were PODs. with the cab simulator it never sounds like that...

Back