Collaboration Contract (need help!!)

jusballin

i need some help and was wanting some info or if someone could point me in the right direction. I have an r&b singer which we have finished a track for and we are going to get a rapper to drop 16 bars on the end of the song. i was wondering what type of contract i would need and what were the industry standards on percentages, points, or any they would receive for radio play, cd sales etc. if anyone has any suggestions what i need, where i can get it from, etc it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

holla

way too many diff answers to this ????? You are talking about copyrights here and it comes down to one ? from the start

Are you paying him a flat fee for the recording anutha word a "work for hire" or are you looking to give him album royalties and shares to the copyright? REMEMBER, I don't know what your relationship is with the rapper and I'm not tellin you too F*** him all I'm sayin is if he is listed on that copyright you cannot do anything with that song with out his permission....F*** the track its the ownership issue to do what you want with it.....

What ever agreement you want though, I got a ton of them and would be happy to share a copy for you to model after...

well from what i came up with after talking to them we are paying a flat rate. thats what they requested up front, they havent said anything about copyrights, points, percentages, etc. so i pretty much figured the copyright would be mine. i didnt bring it up either bec i didnt want to start something if it wasnt something they requested. i guess i wanted to be prepared both ways and have my paperwork either way bec im from tenn and we are going to atlanta to finish the track. any help is greatly appreciated

holla

If you payin them upfront..... your talkin about a work for hire unless its an advance which I don't think this is what your doing so here s what ya need

An agreement saying "yada Yada" is goin to perform on such & such track.....He will be compensated X amount of dollars for his contribution.... All copyrights will be the sole ownership of YOU without any claims from Yada Yada, to be covered in all countries and throughout the world for an indefinate period/.....

In a nutshell thats what a work for hire is gonna say....I got some though....PM me with your e-mail address

aye JB,
Gec's on point.........from my experience if the vocalist(s) is considered a "work for hire"he is just due a fee.......kinda like a background vocalist ona demo or a studio bass player.....you just hire them to fill in the blanks because you don't have the manpower to do it.....especially if they have no writing credits..........if the cat was like part of the group and he wrote his own verse then he would most likely be due his points..........unless he's a airhead and signed them away......I could be wrong though.........long time since I had to do that

.......................one.......................

Talent Release form.

Discalimer

!!!!!DO NOT CONSIDER THIS LEGAL ADVICE!!!!!

I'm just trying to give you an example of the standard agreement I use when employing a vocalist, musician, or rapper. Use it at your own risk.

MGR
---------------------------------------

TALENT RELEASE

Date:

The undersigned person, herein called TALENT, whether he is vocalist, musician, soloist, group member, leader, sideman, arranger, or other worker, has contributed or will contribute his talents to the following master(s) for reasons best known to him, (possibly because others contributed or will contribute their work, studio, etc. to record a master of a song written by the undersigned). TALENT authorizes MASTER OWNER, assignees, licensees to utilize the sound recordings in every way.

SONG SONGWRITER(S) PUBLISHER ARTIST

The undersigned TALENT waives any and all right to money, royalties or other compensation for his time and work, and assigns any rights he may still have to money and in the master to MASTER OWNER in consideration for the following;

-= Fill in the agreed apon session payment =-

This contract does not concern songwriting or publishing rights.

AGREED - MASTER OWNER: BY:
Signer's Capacity:
Address:
City, State, Zip:
Telephone Number:
Social Security No:

AGREED - Each TALENT signing here:

TALENT NAME ADDRESS PHONE # SSI#

as mgr pro revealed... you better pay a small fee for the "talent" as we would call it, and make the talent sign a deal that all copyright of lyrics and audo goes to you... it's the only way to go unless you want the talent to have a piece of the cake or a lawsuit on your ass...

i've only done it once and i'm glad... paid 20£ for a track that may come true, maybe not... haven't been producing for the last 4 month cause of diffent annoying shit like Work-school-girlfriend.... now how much time does that leave you... but since it's all in my name, i'll never have to worry about that again... i can get started with the track when i want to... hopefully soon, since having a girlfriend is way too time consuming, so i might drop that part :D

THANKS GEC

i want to thank everyone for the info and GEC for sending me the contract. im going to do it on "work for hire" basis, money up front and i own all copyrights to the song.will be going to ATL on monday to finish the song, i will post it so i can get feedback

thanks,

jusballin

Momuzak Records
"Mo' music makes it mo' betta"

holla

Back