coated strings...

oh_the_blood

own!

i bought the DR extra life black beauties at GC for 10 bucks

and i am never going back to normal strings.

plus why would i when they look so awesome? (black on maple fretboard, now thats where its at)

I got some red dr strings (free, from by brother :) ). Yeah, they look cool, plus there's not as much buzz with em. I got red ones on a black LTD eclipse \m/

And hey, I was thinking about painting my guitar. Anyone got any tips for that?

Grey Angel said:
I got some red dr strings (free, from by brother :) ). Yeah, they look cool, plus there's not as much buzz with em. I got red ones on a black LTD eclipse \m/

And hey, I was thinking about painting my guitar. Anyone got any tips for that?

It's not very easy, unfortunately. That is if you want a quality job. It's essentially similar to auto paint techniques, several color coats followed by fine sanding, then several clear coats, following by more sanding and buffing. Stew-Mac has some good books on their site that cover it. You will need a half-decent sprayer and a makeshift spray booth with good ventilation.

If you just want to play around, get a piece of scrap hardwood, some sealant, and a can of color coat and clear coat from a local auto parts shop, along with fine sandpaper (320 or 400) and buffer pads. See how good you can get the scrap wood to come out before you work on your guitar.

Glad to see a good review on these things. I have used the Elixer coated and the D'Addario coated, and I just didn't like them. I think I might be purchasing some DR's soon.

Pete

Well, they're a little different from Elixers...the ones I've ever played, anyway. While Elixers feel sort of like they're coated with rubber/plastic, DR strings just have a very fine layer of paint. It sort of comes off where you pick at, pretty soon.

mshilarious said:
It's not very easy, unfortunately. That is if you want a quality job. It's essentially similar to auto paint techniques, several color coats followed by fine sanding, then several clear coats, following by more sanding and buffing. Stew-Mac has some good books on their site that cover it. You will need a half-decent sprayer and a makeshift spray booth with good ventilation.

If you just want to play around, get a piece of scrap hardwood, some sealant, and a can of color coat and clear coat from a local auto parts shop, along with fine sandpaper (320 or 400) and buffer pads. See how good you can get the scrap wood to come out before you work on your guitar.

So, it would be bad if I just spraypainted it? :o (jk)

I really was thinking about just taping out a design and spraying (as with a can from Lowe's). But I would have to do several coats and then sand, repeat? Eff that. :mad:

Grey Angel said:
So, it would be bad if I just spraypainted it? :o (jk)

I really was thinking about just taping out a design and spraying (as with a can from Lowe's). But I would have to do several coats and then sand, repeat? Eff that. :mad:

What kind of design? You might be able to use vinyl adhesive material to get a similar result. This is how racing stripes, pinstripes, etc. are done on cars. Much easier than spraying, and reversible.

I trust this isn't a precious vintage family heirloom?

I've played the DR black beauties. they kind of sounded dull unplugged, but the tone was great in a live situation. Also, I did like the feel of them. Almost like playing a plastic string. I don't think they last much longer than regular strings though.

mshilarious said:
What kind of design? You might be able to use vinyl adhesive material to get a similar result. This is how racing stripes, pinstripes, etc. are done on cars. Much easier than spraying, and reversible.

I trust this isn't a precious vintage family heirloom?

Nope, a LTD EC-50, which I'm going to use forever.

Grey Angel said:
Nope, a LTD EC-50, which I'm going to use forever.

OK then. Check out this site for vinyl graphics:

http://www.edecals.com/

The key to smooth installation is to use non-ammonia window cleaner on the surface as you apply the decal.

If you do want to paint, you can use regular ol' spray paint, with a couple of caveats: first, I would go to an auto parts store instead of Lowes because they will have everything you need for sanding and buffing right there, and maybe better colors too. Second, using spray paint rather than a sprayer usually goes on thicker and a little grainier. That means more sanding and buffing than you would have to do with a sprayer. Also you do really want to clearcoat as it looks much better than just colorcoats.

Sweet, they have dragons! \m/

Thanks a million, mshilarious. I'll give you rep as soon as I spread it around some more :D

Back