Clueless Opera Singer

It still might be a bit much if all you need to do is record your voice and a piano. That should only require 2, maybe 4 tracks at the most (each instrument / voice on the recording takes up one track. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious). Were there any other instuments or voices you wanted to record? If so, then an 8-track might be worthwhile . . . or 12 if you want to record a lot of extra voices/instruments. And you'll want a decent preamp.

If you have the extra money, Ametth did have some good suggestions (joking aside, and with all due respect to his knowlege of computer hardware) although they might be riskier should you decide that recording on a more serious level isn't your bag.

Good luck.

I vote YES on the Korg D-12 and the nice Mic. Get a Studio Projects C1 or better (Rode NT1000 would also work, as would any of the mid-to-high-end Neumanns)... and it won't hurt to get enough clean preamp channels to record 3 mics (stereo on piano, and one for voice). An easy way to do this is with a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer, that'll give you 4 cheap but clean preamps... there are many other more expensive options that will sound varying degrees better, but for someone who's making demos, you have to keep in mind what your final target is. You want people to be able to hear the quality and character of your voice and your level of technical proficiency, but it's not going to be going out on Sony classical.

You will also need a little knowledge to figure out where to place the vocal mic. I don't know much about opera but what I do know is that is as about as loud as the human voice gets, and it can easily overload a poorly-placed mic.

Found a studio Projects C1 for $225
And a Korg D-12 bidding at $450 right now
Both on e-bay

Looks like I might be in buisness! Thanks for all your help and patiance. I really appreciate it!

If your gonna go for the C1 unheard, I would get the V67 instead. They are close enough that your not gonna hear the difference.

Do NOT buy the C1 from eBay!

You can buy it for $230 from an authorized outlet and depend on their service policy and be sure you get all the goodies that go with it.

Thanks for the tip. You don't happen to know any authorized dealers in springfield Mo. do you? =)

Could I do that over the internet?

I'm sort of with Chessrock on this. I don't think you want to spend all that money. This is opera not headbanger rock. And I really don't think you know what your getting yourself into. Why not hire someone the high end mics, pre's and equipment to record. They worry about recording technique, you worry about your performance technique. Trust me, you will save yourself some money. You can use the computer to burn CD copies for your friends.

Back