Closer - New Collab with Poeticintensity

All it needs is a couple of jazz chords thrown in a few spots.
Actually the chords are fine - it just has a jazz feel. Good interplay between the L & R guitars.
The bas carries the spong - but that's something bass players do isn't it. I find I can't sep. my melodies from my bass lines - (both are simple).
You manage to have sep. lines for each.
PI certainly ties it together well doesn't he?
Cool, jazzy song, nice arrangement too.

I like the track, I like the bass and the kit, which carry the whole thing forward. I would like to have heard the guitars doing a bit less (particularly the one in my right hear). I think that would give it more space. It could be late at night and my brain's a bit fuzzy, but I'm hearing some tuning tension (on guitars and vocals) throughout which makes me feel uncomfortable.

I actually am not completely convinced about the bass tone. For me, it's too bright and buzzy. And I only say that because the guitar is quite bright too, and the two are too much to my ears.
Only other thing I picked up was that the oooo-ooooo's in the backing vocals need to sit lower in the mix, really and subtle.

Cool, but there does not seems to be any dynamics?

It's all the same tone and level.

Just my .02

Liking the drums/bass combo on this.

The thing with the guitars is that, rather than doubling the same guitar part, or having two completely different sounding parts, you seem to have used the same identical guitar sound for two slightly different parts which I found a bit odd. Not bad necessarily, just unusual and perhaps a bit confusing for the listener.

Cool feel to it all though...where's the jazzy guitar solo? :)

Thanks to everyone! It was my first all-by-myself but needed (needs) refining. Jason (Poeticintensity) has done a great addition on drums and I'm thinking about asking Gerry (Ido1957) to help with a tasty guitar (or 2). It's hard to remain objective in a project and you've given me some things to think about.

Lots of potential with this... I think the vocal is mostly right, but that the backing is a bit too hard and direct.

Sounds good, nice song! The bass to me is a little weak though. It's groovy and would sound killer if there was more punch to it. The rest sounds good.

Sounds good, nice song! The bass to me is a little weak though. It's groovy and would sound killer if there was more punch to it. The rest sounds good.

Hmm - surprising comment - try listening with a sub-woofer lol....

Re the guitars :
I quite enjoy the whole arrangement on the guitars. I've found from past experience, that your grooves, licks are timing are not as easy to duplicate as one might think and are always tasty. My bass playing falls well short of yours so I don't even bother in that dept... :D

Wow... It's fun to finally hear this, after so long! Didn't I do this some time early last year? To be honest, and it's kind of odd coming from me, since I did the drums, but I'm usually my own worst critic. Anyway, the drums on this have some problems. Too many cymbals. The drum performance is too busy for the music. I've gotta slow it down some, and play more easy. I feel like the song has a chilled element that the drums are covering up, instead of enhancing. I hate to say it, but my snare sounds pretty dead, too. I think I may have recorded this before I knew how to properly tune a snare drum. The mix of the drums also is too cymbal heavy. Ugh...

Other than that, I think the bass performance is top-notch. Guitars sound good, and the mix is generally well-balanced. Good job, Mike! Keep it up!

(I think working with Gerry on all his stuff (and oodles of tips from this forum) helped me hear the problems I had with drum recordings early on. If I'm not mistaken, I think this was recorded sometime during that time period. Gerry actually had me record his whole set twice because of the drastic improvements)

"PI certainly ties it together well doesn't he?"
Jason rocks!! This is Jason's dry track (no enhancements), Gerry coaxed me into revising my previous mix. It's amazing what a few milliseconds will do. As far as "snare tone" goes: I like it. The drum track might be a tad high in the mix making it more glaring with no reverb or such, but the technique stands out. I guess it's a matter of taste in the mix; if I drop the level say, 1 notch, it should bring everything else up in effect: more vocals, rythm, etc. and maybe "mixing" with a better tone outcome, in turn changing the snare level/tone toward the listeners taste. !@#$ I guess I'll try another listen.
This is a revision of an older song and "saads" has a good point. Being a bassist I of course want more lows so I do not disagree. My mixing has it's moments of indecision and I usually burn a "car" disc to test on a standard/ cheap stereo. This Bass track is also dry: any more level or low boost makes my "car" speakers go to mud. I need help with "mastering", I know it, but here I am (so far)...

Back