Closed ear headphones for vocal tracking recommendations?

ProgMetalShred

Hey guys,

Well, after coming to the what SHOULD have been common sense realization that my open ear Sennheiser HD-580 headphones are NOT gonna get the job done when it comes to masking headphone bleed into my vocal mic while tracking, I need to ask if anyone here has preferences on any of the following.

Perusing through the various threads in the archive concerning closed ear designs... a couple of models seem to pop up:

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro
Sony MDR-7506
Beyer Dynamics DT770 Pro
Audio Technica ATH-M40fs

Are there other models I should add to the list? Any particular opinions people have on any of these in terms of comfort, noise rejection, isolation, etc...?

These will ONLY be used when I am tracking. I plan on using my Senn HD-580 ONLY to "check" mixes, NOT to do my actual mixing with. Also, I plan on snagging a pair of the Yorkville YSM-1p powered monitors to do my mixing with... many thanks to everyone who gave me input and recommenations on these (special thanks, Blue Bear).

Thanks and have a great day,
Jeff in Houston

Ever since my 15+year-old Fostex phones began disintegrating I've been using Sennheiser and BeyerDynamic phones exclusively in my studio. The HD280PROs are my favorite for isolation on overdubs, though some people find the Beyers a tad more comfortable on long sessions. Just my 2¢ (+ applicable sales tax, some restrictions may apply, blah, blah, blah...).

Scott

Yo Shreds:

Get the Beyer 250's -- they are less "boomy" than the 770's. I have both and use both but I lean more towards the 250's.

I've also used wireless cans in my studio. I usually let wriggly vocalists use the wireless "closed" cans so they don't get strangled with the cords. {sometimes the chords too]

Green Hornet :D :cool: :D

I use the Sony mdr 7506's for tracking vox and checking mixes. They're fine for tracking, although the cord is way too short for me, I basically need to stand right next to my mixer when I sing. Once I walked back too far and they flew off my head! I also think they are uncomfortable for long sessions. As for sound, I think their pretty bright sounding. Maybe not best for checking mixes. BUt otherwise they're good. They're supposed to be the industry standard, that's why I bought them

werewolf831 said:
I use the Sony mdr 7506's for tracking vox and checking mixes. They're fine for tracking, although the cord is way too short for me, I basically need to stand right next to my mixer when I sing. Once I walked back too far and they flew off my head! I also think they are uncomfortable for long sessions. As for sound, I think their pretty bright sounding. Maybe not best for checking mixes. BUt otherwise they're good. They're supposed to be the industry standard, that's why I bought them

Hmmm, I would say that the cord length alone would then pull the Sony's right out of the running. I plan on recording vox in a coat closet outside of my main study/studio since my PC sounds like a C-130 prop plane with its three cooling fans. So a nice long cord is definitely needed. Plus, as I stated, I will use my Sennheiser HD-580's to check mixes after mixing with the Yorkville YSM-1p monitors...

Thanks,
Jeff in Houston

Gidge said:
the length of the cord on headphones is an issue?......

Gidge,
Yeah, since my PC sounds like a Turbine, I need to move my recording mic into an adjacent hallway/room to record with a decent SNR. Since I plug my headphones and mic into a PC recording card breakout box, I need nice long cords on both the mic and headphones. Understand? I wish it were otherwise, but that's my predicament currently.

Thanks,
Jeff in Houston

Jeff -
You can buy or make a headphone extension cable - female TRS on one end, male on the other. A good wrap of duct tape where the phones plug into it is recommended. :D

Back