CLIPS: MXL603s vs. Peluso CEM-C6s on drum overheads

Whoopysnorp

On Monday I finally got the Peluso CEM-C6s I had won on eBay, so I headed down to the rehearsal space on Tuesday to do some clips comparing them to my MXL603s. My setup was as follows:

MXL603s or CEM-C6s overhead, wide-spaced or XY
Modded (TapeOp/no transformer mod) SM57 on snare top
Stock SM57 on snare bottom
Shure Beta 56As on rack toms
Sennheiser E602 on floor tom
Shure SM7 on kick

Snare top went through a Presonus Eureka and snare bottom went through one of the RME Fireface's built-in pres
All other mics went through a Tascam M320's pres
Recording interface used was an RME Fireface 800 @ 24/48

The clips are located in this directory: www.genitalhercules.com/~mcrowe/drum_tests/

Excuse my terrible drumming. I was surprised by how well the MXL603s held their own in wide-spaced configuration. The Pelusos sound a little smoother and fuller to me, but it's subtle. In XY, the MXLs didn't do so well. I think this may be because they are pretty far from being a matched pair, whereas the Pelusos supposedly are. I don't have any proof of this...the auction claimed they were, but who knows. Their response seems pretty close though, based on some testing I've done.

Later tonight I think I will upload mixes that with the overheads soloed so you don't hear the other tracks getting in the way.

hey this is super useful. Could you post the unmixed tracks. I'd love to hear a side by side comparison of just the overheads (no EQ or anything).

I actually kind of dig the MXL's in x/y. I think they complement the snare and kick better than the Puelso's.

Haha, well, the day after I recorded these, I accidentally deleted the partition that contained the original recordings. I've made some new ones though. Later on I can post the unmixed versions of those.

Finally got around to putting these up:

The absence of the close mics really does put the differences between these mics in greater relief. I am happy I got these new mics.

Seemed to me the MXLs were less focused on both kick and snare.

At the Prodigy Pro forum, there are threads describing three capacitors that can be changed in the MXLs that greatly improves their clarity.

Nice comparison!

I also hear a thinness in the MXLs in the cymbal region. The cymbals sound more natural to me through the Pelusos.

Back