Clipping

amaskey

I just finished recording a song and am trying to mix it down in cubase. here is what i was able to do:

The problem however is that the sound sounds too low volume. If u try raising the levels even just a little in cubase, the clipping light goes on. How would i be able to make this mix sound more powerful but not clip?

Thanks in advance.

You need to work on the mix. You could just use a compressor and/or limiter, but I would start with the mixing end first.

try adding a high pass filter at 120hz and send everything through it xcept the bass and kick.send them through a 60hz high pass filter. then mixdown again

yeah i agree with nl5. compressor/limiter is the way to go. here is a link to some free plugins that i use. not the best but they definatly work.

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

just put the plugins in the master fader section, and make sure that the limiter is last. and when you use the limiter make sure that the threshold is down to 0, it gives it a little bit of head room.

Sorry im a nube :( . so using the limiter, woulnt i want to move the threshhold up instead of going to 0? either way i get the red clipping light go on if i try to boost it or leave it at 0 and then try raising the levels. :confused:

well your master level has to be set at 0db, because that controls the output of everything. so as long as the master is at 0, you can adjust the volume on the individual tracks to make the overall volume louder. but the same applies to individual tracks too, if the fader is set above 0, its going to clip out that track. you can apply the limiter to individual tracks to help them from clipping out. so thats something to keep in mind as well. any other questions just let me know

rediflight said:
yeah i agree with nl5. compressor/limiter is the way to go.

That is not what I said - I said the mix needs serious work before you even think about using the compressor/limiter. Eventually they will pump up the volume, but with the mix the way it is, they aren't really going to do much.......

NL5 said:
That is not what I said - I said the mix needs serious work before you even think about using the compressor/limiter. Eventually they will pump up the volume, but with the mix the way it is, they aren't really going to do much.......
yeah i agree with that too, it really does need some work, sorry i didnt add that in my post. :p fix the mix and then mess with the compressor and limiter

Some of your problem may originate in your tracking level. You should try tracking at around -18dbFS, do your mixing up to around -6dbFS before you do your final tweaking and slapping on a compressor/limiter to bring the volume up to around -.1dbFS.

Back