Clipping While Recording

denise360

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a mxl v87 consender microphone (its connected to alesis io2 express audio interface, and im using a pc laptop), i tried to begin vocal recordings over a imported instrumental onto cubase le5, but when i pressed record, it began to make clipping noises during the recording. So i tried to use audacity to see if i get the same results. and it began to clip as well during the recording...but when i played it back, the recording came out fine.

Can someone please help me??
:confused:

I would also like to add that the clipping noise it makes while its recording sounds like the sound is breaking up and a bit of static, as if its like a cellphone with bad reception

I am assuming that you are using phantom power with your mic... Have you tried reducing your input level? What do you meters say your level is? Input levels are best between -16 and -12db. Just looked up your interface, I assume you are using channel 1, with phantom power????

You still havent said what your input level is. Don't take offense, but with minimal information it is hard to give more than minimal help. Watch you meters in the DAW as you are recording are they showing the signal clipping or is the signal staticy, with out clipping?

none taken, ok i just tried it again to look at the levels(by using audacity) when i record the vocals without any instrumentals it works fine with the levels reading -9, but when i import a instrumental and began to record vocals ontop of it, thats when the sound begins to break up with the levels reading -21 and further

What do you mean by import instrumentals? I assume you have an intrument track playing in audacity, and are recording the vox to a second track. What speed computer are you using? It may not be "clipping" at all. If your system is a little overworked during recording,(and even Playback), it can pop and click, and stutter. If that is the case you may want to try to adjust your buffer settings. However, remember that can increase latency.

I meant that i make intrumentals or beats by using maschine mikro software, then i import the song onto audacity, yes i believe your right about being the speed of my laptop because i just remembered that when i use maschine..it makes that same breakup noise. if i done it correctly i think the speed of my pc is P6200 @2.13GHz

Ok, I think we are on the right track. If you have less than 4 Gig of ram, it is tough to not run in to issues like this. I would try to increase the buffers. You may have to find a fine line between acceptable latency, and losing the pops and clicks.
the sound begins to break up with the levels reading -21 and further
If your levels are between -21 and -9, it is not clipping.

Don't know much about audacity (I'm a Reaper user), but in the settings (or preferences) there should a place to set up and /or change the buffers. If you open the settings and its not obvious, just use the help file. Sorry, can't help with specifics for audacity.

Audacity is really weak as far as a recording software. If I remember correctly, you can change the buffer/latency via preferences. I only messed with it a while to try to help someone out, so not sure.

Best downloading something like Reaper if you wish to get something recorded worth using IMO. That also comes with a whole bunch more questions though. Nothing is as easy as 'hit record an go' unless you use a tape recorder.

By the way, I am by no means trying to be condescending, it is just that you get what you put into it.

:)

Not sure if this applies, but when I hear someone say their vocals clip when recording to a backing track it's often because the backing track is too loud. If that's the case turn the backing track channel down so the average level is around -18dBFS on the main bus meter. Record your vocals to the same average level.

To change the latency in Audacity go:-
Edit> Preferences>Recording and set to a higher number. I just checked mine (which I never use!) and it seems to default to 100mS, bit low, set it to 256mS and give things another do.

I would think that PC is fast enough* for a few tracks. We (son and I) ran quite a few tracks in Cubase LE6 on a W7 machine with only 2G of ram. I have now pumped that up to 8G but only because son got into video work (Camtasia) and that flagged a memory lack.

Reaper IS good but a steep learning curve. I have it, bt and pd for! But rarely use it. Try a download of the free MAGIX Samplitude Silver Cloud. Works like a "growed up" DAW (which Audacity, for all it being very useful, doesn't) and has an excellent MP3 encoder in it to boot. Limited to 8 tracks but that should keep a noob happy for a while?

*DOH! Only had 2 coffees so far! Check that the PC has the Windows sounds, the bleeps and bloops turned off. Also a killer is a wireless internet system, in fact Google for "optinizing a PC for sound recording" and do the bizz. You will do no harm and never notice the changes for routine PC work.

Dave.

Ok i understand that audacity isnt really that good for recording, what about cubase? I have cubase le5 and im having the same recording problem

Not a cubase ueser either, but alot of people on here use it, and from what I know yes it is very good for recording. However, it does seem that your issue is more your computer. As ecc83 stated, turn off all windows sounds, disable your wireless when recording, and even go in and try and increase your virtual memory, (in windows control panel/ system/ Advanced tab / Performance/ Advanced tab) if you can increase that it may help. But, if you can post a complete system run down ie; how much ram, how large is your hard drive, etc. that may help someone here, to help you with a little more ease. Also, now that you have ten posts, if you could post a short recording, of the popping and so on, that you are getting. It's also easier, if we can hear the same thing that you are.

the buffer setting may be the issue. even cubase you will need you to address the buffer size in settings. may even have to go down to driver settings in some cases to increase buffer sizes.

Ok i understand that audacity isnt really that good for recording, what about cubase? I have cubase le5 and im having the same recording problem

Just to put the record straight re Audacity.
There is NOTHING wrong with the software as far as its ability to make high quality recordings! It is essentially an Audio Editor and thus not particularly well designed for "knock about" home projjy work but WHAT it does, it does extremely well. Many peeps here probably started out using the free program and we are grateful.

Dave.

Ok i tried to increase the latency in audacity, turned off my internet connection and also dumped out any unused apps from my computer but im still having the problem. I have 155gb free of 283gb of ram on my laptop, so how do i change the buffers in my pc and what number should i change it to? im no computer wiz as u can tell lol

Back