Clipping sound card but no digital distortion? I'm confused please someone eleobrate.

bennie08

Hey guys, I have a Delta 1010lt in which I really do enjoy but I would like to know why my maudio sound panel shows my input clipping every once in awhile but produces no digital distortion in my DAW? I've been recording vocals and occasionally I'll see it clip in the maudio panel but my DAW shows that everything isn't clipping. I'm very curious of why this happens and have somewhat of an idea but I'd like to get a full explanation from a group I trust (you guys on this forum). Right now I'm running the signal through a Presonus Eureka > 31-band Eq > Delta 1010LT. To me the vocals sound really good and I don't want to get them done to find out I can't use them, though common sense tells me if there's no digital distortion then it'll be fine. Thanks in advanced for any replies.

Bennie

From memory, the clip warning on the Delta 1010 is set to come on at -3dBFS to give you warning that you're getting near clipping and give you a chance to do something about it before you spoil a take.

That said, I wouldn't want to rely on that and, if the warning comes on occasionally, you're probably tracking too hot. The Delta 1010 is nice and quiet--just turn everything down a bit for future tracking sessions.

If you want to be absolutely sure, find one of the super hot bits on your recording and just zoom in to see if you have any "flat tops". As long as everything looks nice and rounded, you should be okay.

Momentary minor clipping isn't generally very audible, but it's a sign you're recording too hot. Shoot for peaks around -12dBFS or so.

Thank you, I was reading through the manual again and it said that you shouldn't have something in the red too long and suggested using your ears haha. I've checked the waves and everything looks and sounds good. I feel like the more I push the Eureka the better vocal sound I get but it looks like I'll have to back off the gain a little. Thanks again for the reply now I can't stop worrying about it.

Drive it as hard as you like using the controls on the left end of the unit. Make the level correct with the Master control on the right end.

Momentary minor clipping isn't generally very audible, but it's a sign you're recording too hot. Shoot for peaks around -12dBFS or so.
How would -12 translate to the Maudio panel? Untitled.jpg I would assume 10 or so?

Drive it as hard as you like using the controls on the left end of the unit. Make the level correct with the Master control on the right end.
Haha this makes me feel like a fool :facepalm: nice, simple suggestion!

Untitled.jpg

Since your replies have been so helpful, could anyone specify what these do?

Also here's what the vocal wave looks like when it was clipping occasionally on the vocal take.

Untitled.jpg

View attachment 77058

Since your replies have been so helpful, could anyone specify what these do?

Also here's what the vocal wave looks like when it was clipping occasionally on the vocal take.

View attachment 77059

Mode = consumer S/PDIF signal or pro AES3. Emphasis was used to compensate for the imperfections of early converters. I'm not sure why there's a data type that can be other than audio. SCMS is the serial copy management system meant to prevent digital piracy.

Direct monitoring lets you monitor your inputs with less latency by routing them directly to the outputs inside the hardware.

Invert analog ins inverts the polarity of the inputs.

Use the meters in your DAW.
I have. Sorry, I have a problem with over analyzing stuff to do with recording.

Bouldersoundguy, thanks for your help usually I search the web for more insight and the explanations aren't very clear, that's why I usually come to here.

Thanks for all the help!

Back