Cliped kick sound

Nanahime

Hi there. Can someone please help me! I' m recording my drums at home with Cubase. and After track down drums sound just fine, but then I use CoolEditPro to Normalize and HardLimit about 3 db then the mix sound almost as loud as some pro CDs. But then all the Kick start to clip the speaker.
Before HardLimiting, my drums sound just fine, No clipping at all. So I guess it is recorded cleanly.

Now I'm guessing maybe my kick sound too Direct...though.. is that what's really causing the clip? I've tried to put alot of Room reverb, and Hall Reverb but the Kick still clips the speakers.

Can anyone help me find how to make it sound soft enough so that it won't clip even at Pro's sound level. What about using Sonic Maximizer, Finalizer, or dumping two mix into 1/2inch Analog ? Can they help my problem??

how about not worrying if it's as loud as the "pro's" levels, and just do what "sounds" good..use your ears.

or change the genre to industrial. ;)

No, seriously: ametth is right. Try to get a good sound in the first place. If you still want to reach pro volume levels, leave that to mastering.

David.

I'm not familiar with the Cool Edit Limiter, but if it's attack time is too slow it may still be letting a brief loud peak pass that might be causing your problem. Does the kick drum sound like it has a snappier attack after you limit it? If so that may be the case.

i think your problem lies with Cool Edit Pro. try just using a plug in on the channel with the bass drum on. newer versions of cubase have a compressor in the FX panel. butlike someone said here earlier, use your ears..

Cliped kick

I've never used that, but unless it has a look ahead function, maybe it should sound cliped. Thats generally what hard limiting is.
mixsit

If you need the kick louder, why not just bring up the fader...or record it louder......

Hi Guys. Thanx for your replies !!

I'm HardLimitting a whole two mix, and I'm only doing that to get 3 more DB so I think it's not that much right??

and I think limiter is only limitting instrument that has big dynamic range and sitting on top of the mix such as cymbels and snare! so I don't think Kick is really affected by the hard limitter. But after the whole two mix get louder only kick starts to distort speakers......??

Yeah I will try with some other soft wares!!

>Gidge

I don't just want the Kick to be louder, but I want my whole two mix to be louder, but some cymbels and snare are already near 0 db so I have no choice but to hard limit or compress the two mix right???

THank you for your replies though !!

I think your problem lies in the mix itself...post an mp3 of the mix, maybe a before and after....

I agree with Gidge here.

I don't think you are hearing subharmonic stuff if they kick is distorting on home stereo systems.

Ed

Ed dont make a habit of agreeing with me...I might start believing I learned something here....:D

Hi Gidge and Sonusman!! I really thank you guys for trying to solve my problem !!!

I thought of getting an idea though.. I guess simply my drums are sounding too direct, need to make it sound softer, like how pros are doing.. but I really don't know how.

I ve put up before and after mp3s so please check them!!
http://cocoro.topcities.com/After.mp3.zip
http://cocoro.topcities.com/Before.mp3.zip

I really didn't do much on these mix, but what you suggest me to put on kik?? and I really need tip for Eqing kik too !!! appreciate your helps !!

by the way it won't clip my home stereo speakers but it does on my tiny PC speakers.!! but I really want to make it sound good or at least clean on any sound systems.

Why are you normalising (limiting) when your drums already sound good??

All making you mix louder is doing, is sacrificing your dynamics and hence your great sound.

If your kick is the problem try some subtractive EQ or some tasty compressoin to keep it under control, but DONT normalise your mix on the grounds that you want it to sound louder, thats wimpy.

Back