clip when bouncing

bunnyfunk

I am recording a demo on a sony minidisk 4 trak, and being that I only have four traks, I am doing some stereo bouncing. here is the problem- I get all four tracks set up as far as faders, panning and eq, and record bounce down to two tracks. But know my two tracks are clipping and disttorting bad. They did not do this when i first set up the mix. I am thinking that I could drop the fader volume per track a bit, but I still would have no way of telling if it clips until I record. I am also wondering if dropping the track volumes is going to give some kind of quality loss or more noise to sound ratio. What do you guys think?

Maybe what I am doing is not called bouncing. Basically, with the sony minidisk recorder, I get all four tracks set up the way I want as far as volume and panning in the stereo spectrum. Then, I have an "assign" button, 1 and 2, or 3 and 4. I usually use 1 and 2, select the record 1 and 2 tracks, hit record, and the machine "rewrites" in stereo to the two tracks I have selected. The manual says there is no quality loss when doing this, but I am skeptical. My main problem as i said above, is that The two tracks I have rewritten to are clipping badly, and I have no way of telling if they are going to clip until I hit record. Before that all the levels look good. I guess I could drop the faders significantly, but I worry about quality loss. What do you think?

Sounds like you need to back off of the volumes on the 4 tracks before you try to write them onto 2. The same thing occurs in a DAW when mixing down multiple tracks to 2.
With no VU on the mix, you have to get a feel for the machine. Once you figure it out there shouldn't be that much trial and error
in this procedurre even w/o a VU meter.

I know what you're talking about, I use an MD8 and do the same thing. I'm not familiar with the Sony, but does it have any kind of "Rehearse" mode? This mode allows you to monitor the new signals going to the tracks in a "practice" run before you actually write them. Any EQ or effects that you're adding to the tracks is probably influencing the level being bounced.

The FX and EQ you add to improve the sound to each track only has an impact on what you are monitoring through your monitors. When you have it set to what you like and bounce, those EQ and FX additions are adding to the signal being bounced, thus causing the distortion.

Try knocking those track volumes down. I've never had a signal loss (don't confuse volume with the signal--it seems like there's something missing because the parts that do not clip are louder). OR, check your EQ and FX settings.

Sorry, but I'm confused.

"being that I only have four traks, I am doing some stereo bouncing. here is the problem- I get all four tracks set up as far as faders, panning and eq, and record bounce down to two tracks."

What are you bouncing to if you're bouncing all four tracks?

Back