Click tracking for recording.

mud

Ok basically im finally gettin back into recording but will now be doing the vast majority of it via sonar (if i get my head around it lol)

What im wondering is what is the best way of clicktracking so that everything is in time? I kinda sat down here earlier and had a blast with a couple of mates of mine but when we wanted to do it all to a click for future remixes n shit like that, it all kinda went pear shaped.
The drummer was having problems workin out what to do, if to have the bpm at 85 or 170 lolz n shit like that.
One of the reasons we want to do it this way is because we will be sequencing some parts for live due to me not having enough hands to play the bass, guitar, decks, didge, synth and melodica all at once lolz.

So any tips on gettin a good click to record with which will still keep the groove but still keep the timing on then please let me know.

How do the pro's do it, i know they have a lot of the shit sequenced for live so i guess that the vast majority is done to a metronome now just for that sake (as well as for samples n cuttin n pasting n shit)

Any info appreciated.

I'm interested to hear other opinions about clicking as well. But in my limited experience, I prefer the click to be set to the actual BPM, rather than double-time. My clicktracks empasize the first beat of every measure, so it seems to work pretty well for me to not only keep time but keep track of the measures and groove.

some people find it difficult to follow clicks. I find it easier to set up a basic drum pattern and use that to set the tempo. It seems to be a bit easier to follow, specially if the drum pattern has the basic feel you want

I like a simple drum loop myself, or the actual drums. But a click will work. You could always program a simple midi drum track to follow the tempo, but with more realistic accents.

I usually get one rythym track track down first, following the click. Then all other parts listen to the rythym track instead of the click.

I like to do click tracking to the actual BPM. Our bassist doesn't like the click track at all. Our drummer likes double time clicking to really line up his eighth notes.

I do about two layers of guitar and my vocals to a click. Lead guitar stuff, I usually don't use the click.

I do wish that my click track had some sort of visual element to it as well, though. It'd be a lot easier to stay perfectly in time if I could see as well as hear the tempo. Oh well.

dkerwood said:
I do wish that my click track had some sort of visual element to it as well, though. It'd be a lot easier to stay perfectly in time if I could see as well as hear the tempo. Oh well.

Surely Sonar could put this into the bundle lolz, should only take a little plugin, maybe even someone could make one up. Would be a treat if you could route a tft into the recording room and feed both the visual and the audio.

What I've done to stay in time is to create a midi track of my song on Power Tab and just play along with the song. I have a metronome playing in the foreground though. It just makes my playing a whole lot easier.

gecko zzed said:
some people find it difficult to follow clicks. I find it easier to set up a basic drum pattern and use that to set the tempo. It seems to be a bit easier to follow, specially if the drum pattern has the basic feel you want
Yeah, that's what I do. Then I have the option of keeping the loop or throwing it out when everything elese is done and recording live drums. Dave

Back