Click/crackle when recording

phriq

Freon Productions
Hey Everyone, I am sure this is the wrong thread to place this in, so if anyone knows which one to put it in, feel free to move it... Anyway, I am using a M-Audio Profire 2626 Audio Interface with Adobe Audition 3.0 and a SM57 Beta and KSM27 for my mics... I am receiving some random clicking (short crackle) through my recordings. Somestimes it seems to play, but if I play the same part again its not there. However sometimes it appears to be recorded into the audio itself so I have to try to remove it through Noise reduction or completely rerecord the track... Any Ideas? Thanks!

Heya, This is a good spot to post it in. No problem there.

Most clicking, popping, drop-outs, etc. are caused by latency and/or buffer settings. That will always be the first thing someone suggests. Then, whether or not you are using the manufacturers ASIO driver, and if so, get the latest, re-install and such.

I'm not familiar with Audition, but there might a control panel that will test your interface and automatically set the correct parameters for you. You need to be using the ASIO drivers to do this.

Maybe others with some experience with either Audition or your M-Audio will jump in.

have fun.

Heya, This is a good spot to post it in. No problem there.

Most clicking, popping, drop-outs, etc. are caused by latency and/or buffer settings. That will always be the first thing someone suggests. Then, whether or not you are using the manufacturers ASIO driver, and if so, get the latest, re-install and such.

I'm not familiar with Audition, but there might a control panel that will test your interface and automatically set the correct parameters for you. You need to be using the ASIO drivers to do this.

Maybe others with some experience with either Audition or your M-Audio will jump in.

have fun.

Thanks for the reply. I am only recording two tracks simultaneously using a firewire input so I wouldn't think there would be latency. Is there a way I Can check this?

Also, One of the first things I did was check the drivers and they are up to date..

Does anyone know of a control panel that does this for Audition?

Any other suggestion? Thanks!

:cool:Yo Phrig:

A short time ago I found FIVE bad cables in two days. Thus, it would behoove you to check the cables. A cable can just kind of turned to dust any time.

If it isn't cables, it has to be some kind of short in your gear.

Move/tug any of the possibilities.

Green Hornet
:eek::D

Audition

Edit -> Audio Hardware

In the drop down, make sure you have ASIO driver selected for "Audio Driver"

Click on "control panel" - this should bring up whatever m-audio uses for their audio driver settings.

Make sure the session sample rate you use matches the sample rate your drivers are running at.

Are you sure you are not clipping when recording?

Can you tell if it is just in the playback?

Is your computer powerful enough to play all the tracks? My audio will crackle etc if I'm playing 10 tracks and I have some pretty CPU intensive effects going - this is usually on playback since I don't record directly to Audition.

As hornet mentions, jiggle the cables, my m-audio omni i/o is on the fritz and crackles - I can't use it anymore except for playback.

Good Luck,

- Mike

Back