Click And Kick

Digital Reason

Hello all fellow engineers and producers, I had the chance a while ago to work at one of Toronto's most famous recording studios (Phase One http://www.phaseonestudios.com/ ) assisting a very popular producer from the L.A area and I just thought that I would share an interesting fact about getting a clicky kick sound. I am not sure if this technique is common knowledge or not but here it is anywayz.

When recording the kick drum we replaced the beater with a wodden very hard beater. We then took some sticky tack and 2 canadian $2 coins (which are fairly large in size) and stuck one to the beater and stuck one to the bass drum skin so when the drummer would hit the kick the two coins would click together at the point of impact causing a very natural pantera type click kick sound. I am always using this technique now instead of boosting the high mids in the mix stage, its closer to the sound at the tracking stage.

Hope this helps a bit

Saunavation Audio Productions

Thats also handy if you run a hot lead to one coin and the ground to the other. Hook them up to some C4 and you can get rid of that pesky drummer forever.

Muhahahahaha

I didn't know that one.

Fof Jazz, I use coins for the sizzling sound on the ride cymbal. Just hang a coin, or an iron key, on a tiny rope from the cymbal stand and let it hang against the ride. Nice effect.

the coin thing was done on green day's "dookie" cd.

you could do the coin thing...or be a little more professional and get Danmar plastic kick pad w/ wood beater. the guy in pantera uses these. If this is not enough click, Danmar also makes a metal disc pad which is really loud with a wooden beater. I used to have one, but I switched to a different type of head and kick pad thing. It's an attack? superkick II with an evans pad thing and a wooden beater. Then I just changed my micing technique and moved the mic just a bit towards the beater from inside the drum. I get great sound.

But

for the pantera type sound, they are miking both sides of the kick. The kick inside the drum is barely inside and the resonant head is loose as it can be. this gives you that flab in the pantera sound. The mic on the batter side is pointed at the Danmar. This gives you that click of the pantera sound.

I don't like the quarter trick because of the more metallic, tap sound to in the 4-5khz range. I like the click to be a little lower, like at 2.5khz. Try using credit cards instead of quarters.

asi9 said:
I don't like the quarter trick because of the more metallic, tap sound to in the 4-5khz range. I like the click to be a little lower, like at 2.5khz. Try using credit cards instead of quarters.

If the credit cards are max'ed out don't you get a lot of digital overs?

My credit cards have a limiter..... :D

Or something better to use might be any cards of a similar plastic... we have these little money cards at our apartment that you get out of a machine and put into slots on the dryer/washer at the laundry room. I'm always losing mine, getting new ones then finding the old ones. I used those instead of credit cards. You could also use extra v.i.p. cards you get from grocery store savings clubs (they usually give you 2 or 3), or the extra one when you sign up for Blockbuster Rewards. I like that program, I love walking in, going to rent a movie and they say, "You've got a free rental. Wanna use it?"

Oh wait, what was I talking about again?

I had completely forgotten about the whole plastic card thing. The first time I saw it used was in about 1969 (my first "real" recording session) - that gives you an idea of how long this "trick" has been around.

you can waste your time messing with plastic cards and metal coins, or you could get a decent kick drum with decent (expensive) heads and point the mic inside the drum at the beater.

I have over the years kept samples of every kick, tom and snare I recorded and liked. First stored on 1/2" tape, now as 24 / 48 WAV files.
Now, if I don't like a sound, I just replace it with sound from my library.

My favorite one was recorded with a large Premier kick, 2 down feather pillows, no front head, an AKG C 12 at the rear aimed at the hammer point of impact, and a D12 at the front. Then I added, believe it or not, the attack of a heavily gated and eq'd tamborine.

fenix said:
you can waste your time messing with plastic cards and metal coins, or you could get a decent kick drum with decent (expensive) heads and point the mic inside the drum at the beater.

Well I don't consider "messing with cards and coins" a waste of time, and I usually end up recording drummers with a set of DW's or Premier. (I think those are fairly good drum kits).

Sometimes I do just get a good mic and place it inside the shell and aim it at the beater. The technique you use calls for the sound you want to get, why would I want to use the same kick sound for a country band as oppose to a Skate punk band???????

SJOKO2 - I like the idea of keeping samples of kicks, snares etc from past projects. I think i am going to start doing that :) Thanx for the idea.

Saunavation Audio Productions

I use the Danmar Metal kick pad. ( apc of metal that sticks on the skin)Wood beaters will destroy skins prematurelly, i dont like the quarter thing that will kill skins two. I use a dw beater( rather large and all hard plastic) sounds very clicky.

Back