Cleaning the outer jacket of Dirty Mic Cables ????

studiodrum

Hey Guys,
I scored a box load of older very nice quality XLR microphone and Instrument cables from an estate sale of a retired Sound Engineer-- They are in excellent condition except that they are dirty and the outer jacket smell of stale cigarette smoke :eek:

I cleaned all the XLR cannon connectors and 1/4" plugs with some DeoxIt and they look and sound great!

But, I'm just wondering what you guys would recommend to clean up the outer jacket of these cables, . . .and possibly remove some of the cigarette smell? :cool:

I was thinking of using 409 spray, or Windex with ammonia or vinegar spray. But, I don't want to ruin them by using too strong of a cleaner, . .so, I thought I would ask you guys. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• cable_1.jpg
    cable_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 320
  • cable_2.jpg
    cable_2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 317
Alcohol - methylated spirits usually works great for me on just about everything.

It will help to shift the gunk left by gaffer tape too.

You might try a test cleaning of naptha (just a small spot to start). It's relatively mild (it's used on guitar finishes) but cuts most of the stuff you're dealing with...you can get the real, unadulterated stuff at a hardware or paint store--the "lighter fluid" version of naptha may have other additives in it, I'm not sure. I just use the straight stuff.

wipe them down with a rag using dish soap and water?

or...:D

throw the cables in a hot bathtub, set at exactly 76-77F, using surgical rubber sleeved gloves, wipe the cables outer sheath with a unilateral motion, when the cables appear clean and the bathwater a cancer lung brownish color,
then dunk the cables in a bucket of 10% Isopropal Alcohol and 90% cool water about 50F.....shake or roll dry in a large towel removing the gross moisture of the cables. Then Place the cables in a dry cycle via the baking oven at 40F, or possible place in a cloth bag and put the cables into your clothes dryer at approx. 45min,temperature of 70F, not more than 90F.
if the cables still smell of cigerettes, then repeat the procedure yet adding 5.5 minutes to each setup and increasing the temperatures by 2deg, and the ratio of IsopropalAlcohol to 12%/water 88%.
repeat over and over and over for the rest of your life.

your not going to be using these cables in a bar where people smoke are you?

stinky cigarette people.....hey! there's a song title....gotta go

thanks demented...i was just kidding...i forget to add that sometimes.

i'll be flamed now by all the 1,000's of people who just now are drying their cables off in the bathroom! :eek:

just incase the sarcasm was lost on you.... dont submerse them....

Don't know why not. The jackets had better not leak. If they do, you have far worse problems than a little dust. :D

I routinely take cables that have been outside and wash them with a garden hose at high pressure outdoors, then spread them out across my kitchen floor to dry overnight. Works like a charm. I keep the cable ends in my hands at all times, though, and hand wipe the ends by spraying water on my hands and wiping them down. You don't want to get a lot of water in or around the ends because it takes too long to dry out....

Thanks for all the input guys!

I guess of some of you are using Mineral spirits and Naptha to clean your cables my Windex with amonia or409 Spray ain't gonna hurt them either, . . :D
Thanks again everyone

Don't know why not. The jackets had better not leak. If they do, you have far worse problems than a little dust. :D

. I keep the cable ends in my hands at all times, though, and hand wipe the ends by spraying water on my hands and wiping them down. You don't want to get a lot of water in or around the ends because it takes too long to dry out....

ends in your hands??? as in outta the water???? that's pretty much by definition NOT submersed... as in ...uuugh??? below mersed???? lmao... get soapy water inside the jacket and ya might as well give the cord to your punkster neighbor kid... the sheild tarnishes like a MF... especially bad if all you soldered was say a drain wire...

Back