Cleaning Oxide off Chrome

SteveM

This is an analog question isn't it? :D

I bought a new/used bass and the chrome bridge is covered with oxidization and I'm wondering if anyone knows a good way to clean it off.

ibanezbridge.jpg

There's all kinds of household and car cleaners that are geared to cleaning chrome but most of them would probably react poorly with the wood so I'd suggest removing the bridge first before you do anything else.

Cheers! :)

and that stuff is pitted into the chrome plating. It will NOT simply clean off and leave you with a chrome shine where it used to be.
Everywhere that's pitted like that will continue to be kinda grey or whatever color the metal beneath is.
Unfortunately there is no cleaner that will make it nice and chromed again.
For metal polishing ..... I like Simichrome which you can get at bicycle shops. But be wary of any strong cleaners around that wood and be aware that that chrome is fairly thin. You CAN clean the chrome right off.

Thanks for the replies Lt and Jeff. Yes, I'll just take the whole bridge off. It's just two screws. I'd like to drop the whole thing in something and clean it off to stop it from rusting any further. I know it won't be shiny new but as long as it gets all that crud off.

Thanks for the replies Lt and Jeff. Yes, I'll just take the whole bridge off. It's just two screws. I'd like to drop the whole thing in something and clean it off to stop it from rusting any further. I know it won't be shiny new but as long as it gets all that crud off.

That is NOT going to happen. Chrome (chromium, one of the basic elements) does not really oxide- I mean, it does, but very slowly. Chrome plating is actually, and sometimes called, triple plating- the item is copper plated, then nickel plated, then chrome plated. What has happened to your bridge is the base metal that the bridge is really made of, has iron or ferrous metal in it, and that is what is corroding. If you removed all the plating, the bridge will just corrode all over again, more so and faster than before. It looks like 5 screws to me, but even that is not much trouble. Then, your choices are:

1. Replace the bridge with another one (easiest.)
2. Remove all the plating, down to the base metal, then paint it (cheapest, but the most work.)
3. Have the bridge re-plated (may be the most expensive.) The only advantage is you keep the bass original, so this is only worth it if it is already collectable and valuable.

It's not really the chrome I care about. All I want to do is clean it and neutralize the rust. Or even just clean it. There must be a solvent to clean it with. The crud is in every crevice and on all the screws. I don't care that much about what it looks like I just want it to be clean and the screws not to strip. Maybe if I just spray some deoxit on it and then wipe it down.

I really don't think deoxit will touch that. Deoxit is made for oxidation on circuits- much less than what you have, there. Removing the bridge and mechanically removing the oxidation (wire brush, drill brush wheel, etc.) is probably the only way to get that crud off.

I really don't think deoxit will touch that. Deoxit is made for oxidation on circuits- much less than what you have, there. Removing the bridge and mechanically removing the oxidation (wire brush, drill brush wheel, etc.) is probably the only way to get that crud off.

Yeah, that's what I think I'll do.

There IS a way to remove oxidation- reverse electrolysis. You make a solution of washing soda and water, put it in a plastic tub, suspend the part in the tub connected to one side of a 12-volt battery or charger, a bar of metal suspended/connected to the other side, and let 'er rip. In a while, the rust will have all migrated to the metal bar. I don't recall which is to be connected to positive, which to negative, but you can find more detailed instructions on the internets.

I wound up taking it off and using mystery oil to clean it and lube it and then I used isopropyl alcohol to rinse it. It cleaned up not bad, but I'll probably have to get another bridge if I ever want to adjust the action because a couple of the screws on the height adjustment are no good. Everything was pretty much stuck. I got them all going but two allen screws which stripped.

I just noticed the G string is out of the groove. :D

bridgeafterclean.jpg

I wound up taking it off and using mystery oil to clean it and lube it and then I used isopropyl alcohol to rinse it. It cleaned up not bad, but I'll probably have to get another bridge if I ever want to adjust the action because a couple of the screws on the height adjustment are no good. Everything was pretty much stuck. I got them all going but two allen screws which stripped.

I just noticed the G string is out of the groove. :D

View attachment 67609
get some liquid wrench and let it soak over night in a little cup of the stuff ...... you'll likely be able to get them to turn.

And if you stripped the allen head ..... turn the saddle over and there will probably be enough of the screw sticking out where you can grab it with some pliers. After soaking it in the Liquid Wrench you'll probably be able to remove the screw out the bottom of the saddle and then you'll just need a replacement screw.

get some liquid wrench and let it soak over night in a little cup of the stuff ...... you'll likely be able to get them to turn.

And if you stripped the allen head ..... turn the saddle over and there will probably be enough of the screw sticking out where you can grab it with some pliers. After soaking it in the Liquid Wrench you'll probably be able to remove the screw out the bottom of the saddle and then you'll just need a replacement screw.

Good idea. I wasn't sure if I could find those screws. Do you know if they are pretty common?

Back