cleaning house - what should stay and what should go?

amonte

First, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong category. Technically, this question could fall under several headings.

Basically, after an extended break, I want to get back into recording and making music again. I will be using a PC-based system and I have a few pieces of gear from the first time around that I'm debating selling or keeping. On one hand, keeping them around now is free, but I am interested in making quality recordings, so getting rid of the weak links in the chain might go a long way.

These are the items that I am thinking of selling:

ART Tube MP (2)
Bellari MP105
Mackie 1202-VLZ
Alesis Nanocompressor

I almost didn't bother listing the Nanocompressor, as everytime I've brought it up in the past, I've heard negative things. The Mackie falls into that category as well, though I remember them being fairly popular when I got it. As for the ART's and the Bellari preamp, I'm not sure what their reputation is around these parts (which is why I am asking).

I realize that everything I have here could simply amount to a big stinking pile 'o crap, which is why I'm asking what (if anything) is worth keeping. As far as replacing it goes (either short or long term), I'm leaning more towards individual mic pre's than a mixer - not a problem right now, since I'm not recording many tracks at once, but I'd like to be able to do drums at some point - even if it's just a overhead pair.

The Tube MP is pretty much regarded as a sucky mic pre, but a decent bass DI. You might want to hang on to one of them.

Hey, how much do you want for the 1202?

Thanks for the reply - not sure yet on the 1202. Still deciding what I'm selling and what I'm keeping, but if you're interested, I can contact you if I decide to sell.

The Mackie is the only thing I'd consider keeping on that list. The small Mackie's are the best sounding ones in my opinion, and you can always find a good use for a mixer like that. Whether it be as a monitoring mixer, or a few extra preamps, or a way to get a few extra sound sources mixed and to a sound card. A little mixer like that can prove very handy for a lot of things.

The rest I would ditch no questions asked.

I was assuming you'd get rid of the pres you have and upgrade them. You did say you wanted clean house *and* make quality recordings, right? :D

I have a pre-VLZ Mackie 1202 and also an ART Tube Channel. In my case the Tube Channel (400$ at the time) is a way, way, way much better pre than the Mackie. I have read that the Mackie pres got better with VLZ. I'll never know, I hate the 1202 so much that I will never run a mackie again other than perhaps a D8B or their HUI. Which I have used and found acceptable.

I would sell all of that crap. except for maybe the bellari. I'm not sure what model that is. I have an RP220 which is a dual tube pre and I love it.

For most of us, money is an issue. So if keeping this stuff short-changes you from getting some real quality pres, then I believe keeping it would be a mistake. You can always go out later and buy more cheap gear at bargain prices if you ever decide you need it--which you won't.

I would sell everything now, save a little more $ if necessary, and get a good value-priced high-end pre like Sebatron, Sytek, Speck, Grace, Davisound etc. Believe me, once you have used a really good pre you will never go back.

Thanks for the tips and the honesty guys. Sometime you just need to hear it like it is.

I'm probably going to sell everything fairly soon, except for the Mackie. I don't think I will be hanging on to the Mackie on a permanent basis, but possibly just until I can save enough to get something better.

Money definately is an issue, and perhaps I need to add a caveat to my initial statement - I want to improve over what I have, but I don't know if I will be able to take a really large jump at once. I was thinking something along the lines of the FMR RNP, or something in that price range. If there is something in the same price range of reasonable quality with more pres in one unit, that would be great, but I'd guess that if the money stays the same, the more pres will drive down the quality.

The Sytek 4-channel pre might be an option if I can find one used. It's still more than I was prepared to spend in the immeadiate future, but it would be 4 pre's in one shot, which would ease the pain.

Out of curiosity (and I realize this is a step backwards), would something like the StudioProjects Tube Blend Mic, M-Audio DMP3 or EHX 12AY7 preamp be a significant improvement? Or perhaps the RNP?

amonte said:
Out of curiosity (and I realize this is a step backwards), would something like the StudioProjects Tube Blend Mic, M-Audio DMP3 or EHX 12AY7 preamp be a significant improvement? Or perhaps the RNP?

Yes to the RNP.

Back