Clean power.

Wazn

I am thinking about buying a Monster MP HP AC Power Distribution (HTS800) power bar. I was wondering if clean power would help clean up the noise in the pre-amp and the mixer... Does that make a difference? does clean power effect recording?

Wazn said:
I am thinking about buying a Monster MP HP AC Power Distribution (HTS800) power bar. I was wondering if clean power would help clean up the noise in the pre-amp and the mixer... Does that make a difference? does clean power effect recording?
Clean power is better and better sounding than no-so-clean power, however the difference is miniscule compared to a million other variables. If you have a noisy pre and/or a noisy mixer, the overall lesser quality of that gear is going to swamp any subtle refinement made by cleaning up your power.

Once you have Whitney Houston singing into $3000 microphones going into $2000/channel preamplification and an Antelope converter, then maybe you'll hear the difference power conditioning can make, and even then it might not be a constant. If you're recording distorted shredding and screamed vocals through a $200 MXL into a Firepod, save your money for a quality mic/pre/converter path and more diversified clients first.

G.

agreed. for budget recording it's all about what makes the most difference, and unless you have a horrible ground loop or something, clean power won't make that huge a difference. if you've got 60 hz hum that's a different story.

and to a large degree if you own the home and/or are semi permanent in an apt.... your often better off correcting any wirring problems instead of use this "bandage"type approach...

dementedchord said:
and to a large degree if you own the home and/or are semi permanent in an apt.... your often better off correcting any wirring problems instead of use this "bandage"type approach...
True enough if it is a wiring issue, But quality power conditioners address problems beyond that, like noise on the line coming in from outside, varying voltages, wandering amperages, etc. Still not enough for the average home wrecker to lose any sleep over until they get the bigger ducks in a row, though.

G.

Back