Classical tuba duet

Stefan A

This is my first real effort that I am willing to post. There are mistakes in my playing, but for now I am more concerned with learning basics of recording and mixing.

I recorded each part seperately using an AT-2035, Focusrite itrack solo, my iphone, and garageband. I panned each track a bit to each side, added some reverb and slight echo, and chose the medium hall effect.

Even though my playing isn't the best, I need to know if I am on the right track. If I don't ask now, I'll just keep on doing it the same way.

Thanks,
Stefan

Attachments

• Allegro.mp3
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Sounds quite distant to me. Not enough detail in the sound of the instrument IMO.

Hopefully there will be others with more insight with tuba recording. :)

Maybe look at THIS recent thread, and get some ideas from there.

Sounds good, nice playing.

I panned each track a bit to each side,
It's probably too wide. If you saw it in concert, the players would be standing next to each other mid-stage.

added some reverb and slight echo, and chose the medium hall effect.

It sounds like you played in a fairly dry room, added some reverb and slight echo, and chose the medium hall effect.:D Don't feel bad, it took me years to realize this: the sound of a brass/orchestral instrument is a combination of the instrument and the hall. When you put reverb on a dry recording, you're only getting half of the sound you want. The other half can't be recorded because it never existed, the hall never responded to an instrument. Solution: get a portable rig and find a recital hall. What you're doing now sounds pretty good, it just doesn't sound "natural". Other than that it's nice work.

Definitely appreciate the advice and opinions. Jimmy - the mic is about 2 feet from the bell. This is the position I have determined gives me the best sound. I wonder how I can correct this.

David - You are definitely right about the panning. On the reaper version which I posted, I was more subtle with the panning. I do think that having some separation helps with this sort of music. Yeah, a real concert hall would be ideal. But this is the HOME recording forum :). So I am looking for ways to get the best results at home. I just don't have access to a concert hall these days like when I was in college. I do have a band room at school which is fairly large. Still not the acoustics of a real hall, but worth a try.

Stefan

Yeah, a real concert hall would be ideal. But this is the HOME recording forum :). So I am looking for ways to get the best results at home. I just don't have access to a concert hall these days like when I was in college. I do have a band room at school which is fairly large. Still not the acoustics of a real hall, but worth a try.
I'm in the same boat, I play violin. For years I tried to record in my living room, which is dry yet noisy and near a street. I bought a portable recorder (Boss BR800) And I'm looking forward to taking it to various venues to try and get a better sound.

Back