Classical / Orchestral Live Recording: Silver Line Trio

For a live recording under those conditions, I think you've done really well. The cello sounds great, as does the upper register of the piano. The violin I thought was a little overwhelmed by the other two, but it too sounded fine.

What did distract me was the width of the piano. It filled the entire sound stage from left to right, so it sounded as if the violin and cello were inside the piano!

That's fantastic for a live recording, I'd maybe turn up the violin a little at parts but other than that it sounds phenomenal!!

Great feedback.. These were my two biggest annoyances. The main one being the stereo image on the piano. I don't even have anything panned 100% L/R, but I guess I'll have to bring it into around 40% L/R and go from there. Maybe a stereo compressor would be good too. Everything is treated in mono right now.

I leaned towards keeping the violin a little further down because the musician was a very heavy breather and moved in and out of the polar pattern of the mics that I was using . (You hear him in several parts of the recording.) Since this was a free project and I was pushed for time, I didn't take the time to automate or ride faders. Maybe in the future perhaps!

Thanks for the listen and the feedback, I'll have another go at it and get back to you all.

Back