Classical Guitar Setup Geometry

bongolation

Somewhat to my amazement, I have never owned a classical guitar. I was thinking that I should pick one up if for no other reason than to have it for the option of recording nylon-string tracks occasionally.

The one thing I do know about classical guitars is that aside from tuning, there are no non-destructive adjustments possible, so the setup and geometry had better be right...but what is "right"?

This is what I've been told. Classical guitar mavens correct me if it is not accurate:

The fretboard should be straight -- no (or very little) relief, unlike electrics and steel-string acoustics.

The fret plane should be collinear (in a straight line) with the top surface of the bridge. Action is determined by the saddle. Top warpage and neckset problems will show here when measured with a straightedge.

Correct so far or not?

Any other tips will be appreciated.

all Guitars have to have a certan amount of relief otherwise you are going to get fret buzz how little relief the guitar will need depends on how good of a setup the guitar has IE fret leveling and crowning, Nut and bridge adjustments
if you have everything right you can get a pretty low action on any guitar wether it be classical or whatever.

of course the lower you can get the action the easier the guitar will be to play regardless of what style of guitar it is.

Back