Classical Guitar Recommendations

urobolusmusic

Hi there,

I am looking at upgrading my nylon string classical guitar and wanted to see what suggestions you guys would have in the $800-$1000 maximum price range. I am currently using an Ibanez that I don't remember the model number for that is a single cutaway with Fishman electronics. Thing sounds like poop--even my instructor can't make the thing sound good and reaffirms that it just plays terribly.

Not interested in electronics, just looking for one that sounds and plays well. Any suggestions?

Maybe one of these days I'll make it down to the local GC to check some out... if I can manage to set foot in that god awful place.

Thanks,

Uro

I'll save you a few bucks by recommending you check out the La Patrie brand. Very well made, play and sound great.

If you have any Spanish skills, I would seriously suggest trying to get something from Paracho (Michoacan) in Mexico.
A classical or flamenco handmade out of non-imported woods there will cost you less than $1K and will hands down beat anything you can buy in CG for that price.
I have a wonderful flamenco that is just amazing - here's a thread where I talk a bit about it: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=200577
Sr. Castillo is a bit more expensive than some others in town, but well worth it.
And I still love the guitar - it's still opening up. Loud as hell, but just amazingly balanced. Wish I could afford a microphone that would capture all its nuances ...

Good luck on your search !

Back