Classic GC

TheNewUnknown

Don't be a Pro Tool.
Just wanted to share this....
So I bought an audix D2 today from GC...as I'm at the register the "recording tech" guy congradulates me on "getting the best sounding kick mic GC carries..."
I then try to convince him he's thinking of a different mic while he insists he's right. I almost punched him.

If they can count to 10, speak semi fluent english and spell four letter words they meet GC's standards. Seems like that's the only qualifications 90% of the guys at GC I have dealt with posses.

I honestly hate those guys in pro audio at GC, they really don't have a clue what the hell they're doing. After being a member of this board for quite some time, I walked into GC and asked a few of the guys "What's the best Rap Microphone" just to get a kick out of it. My god! The many different answers I've heard. Those guys need to be trained if they are going to be answering questions, if not they should just be quiet cashiers.

As in your situation, I absolutely hate it when someone is talking about relative issues as if they're facts and don't hear how foolish they sound.

I always ask silly questions when I go in there just to hear the answers they give me. My favorites to this day are:

ME: "What's the difference between mattress foam and auralex?"
GC Guy: "Mattress foam gets older faster"

ME: "What's the best Rap microphone?"
GC Guy(s): "this one"

ME: "What's the best compressor you guys carry?"
GC Guy: "Antares AVP Vocal Producer"

GC Guy: "...well what preamp do you use?"
ME: "Depends, Studio Projects VTB-1 mostly or a DMP3"
GC Guy "What the hell are those?"
ME: "Uhhh.. Preamps :confused: "

mentalattica said:
If they can count to 10, speak semi fluent english and spell four letter words they meet GC's standards. Seems like that's the only qualifications 90% of the guys at GC I have dealt with posses.
QUOTE]

Have to agree. Went to the GC here in Tampa last week (1st time in a year) to see if they had any Rics in stock.

When I didn't see any I asked this young man (as he was polishing off a nose plug) if they had any and he asked me what a Rickenbacker was - then his eyes lite up and said "Oh I think we have that mic in stock.".

:D

Must not be hard to get hired. I hate the guys who don't even think about an answer and just blert out nonsense when you ask them a question. They should have to review the products they sell as far as functionallity and take a test before they are hired. I remember working at Burger King when i was in tech school and they at least made you watch a video. Maybe they need to do something of that nature.

Don't think twice about giving guitar center employee's grief when they do stupid things.

Enjoy the D2, I have two of them and the D4 and D6.

Since i worked there I am only a little sympathetic to their cause. All I can say in there defense is try working there. there's been a few threads aabout it, but bottom line is that you don't get time to learn your shit. Not like you or your customer needs you to. So you get to choose between looking like a jackass and admitting you dont know, or looking like a jackass and fakin the funk. Its not an easy or fun job.

Dude, have you heard the Audix D12? It is twice as good as the D6 and 6 times better than the D2. Can't wait for the E8 to come out. It uses some log function as to how much better it is. :rolleyes:

On the flipside I do know one GC employee that knows his stuff. He is who I deal with if at all possible.

But if a GC guy didn't know the answer to the question a "I don't know" is totally more respectful rather than a line of garbage. Even better would be "let me try and find out right quick".

Another thing, if managment doesn't care how employees handle customers then it's really managment problems and the employee could give a rats $@# cause he's getting paid and thats all that matters.

I went into GC once and the zit faced kid working in ProAudio said................
Hay..........I know you.........Arn't you banned from HRBBS for being an Ass-hole?

D.J.L. said:
I went into GC once and the zit faced kid working in ProAudio said................
Hay..........I know you.........Arn't you banned from HRBBS for being an Ass-hole?

LMAO!!!!!!

D.J.L. said:

What'd you say?

It's a catch 22. GC would have to raise their prices in order to pay a higher salary to an extremely knowledgable workforce and risk loosing more market share to discount internet stores (of which ironically they themselves now are).

Not having basic market knowledge such as the variety of brands and what a piece of equipment's basic functionality is in inexcusable, but expecting much more than that especially in smaller markets is asking a bit much.

Most of them don't know what in the hell they're talking about, BUT it pays to get chummy with one of them so they'll get you a good deal on a piece you know you want.

wbcsound said:
Not having basic market knowledge such as the variety of brands and what a piece of equipment's basic functionality is in inexcusable, but expecting much more than that especially in smaller markets is asking a bit much.

I agree with this. I don't think I expect much, but is getting the most basic of facts straight is too much to ask? I'd rather have someone tell me they don't know than feed me BS. Even the people at Best Buy know the difference between a VCR and a DVD player, for cryin' out loud.

I've been told:

1) Every Octava 012 mic sounds exactly like every other one due to incredible quality control at the Russian factory. Matched pairs? Just grab a couple and go.

2) The reason that GC doesn't carry the M Audio DMP3 is because it has been discontinued (this two years ago from the pro audio department manager - not some young flunky).

D.J.L. said:

See! Who said they don't know their stuff! ;)

wbcsound said:
It's a catch 22. GC would have to raise their prices in order to pay a higher salary to an extremely knowledgable workforce and risk loosing more market share to discount internet stores (of which ironically they themselves now are).

I agree, but with that being said with any job comes responsiblity. If your not very knowledgable your in the perfect place to gain knowledge and expierence, take initiative to learn your job to the best of your ability.

The thing is though, most of us on this board know not to take what the guys at GC seriously unless we do come across one who knows their stuff (then we have this board here also to turn to in order to confirm). But they prey on the newbs who seek their advice. It makes me angry to see an honest customer who is looking to buy gear and watch them be told "oh no you need this, you need that as well as this to get that job done."

Perfect example, where I actually interfered with the sale. A guy was looking for what he called a "midi-interface", the sales guy asked "what for?" The guy replied "to hook my keyboard up to my PC and record midi". The customer said over and over again, I'm not recording any vocals or audio, just midi. The salesman says "ok, we got exactly what you need", he shortly reappears with a Firewire 410 telling the customer "your lucky this is the last one". The customer looked dumbfounded as if to say "what is this?". The salesman rings it up and gives the poor guy a total. The guy kept asking over and over "are you sure this is what I need? This seems a little expensive." The GC guy pretty much told him, yes this is the only midi interface we carry.

Angered, I interfered telling the guy if all he was going to do is midi and was not looking to record any audio of any sort go to compusa and buy a usb midi cable for 40 bucks. The salesman tried to argue with me then about the 410 being a "great sounding" 300 dollar midi interface and 40 dollar usb midi cables are crap. Once I explained to him and the customer that midi is data, not audio and it's like comparing a usb cable to a usb cable sure some are better quality but hell data sounds the same to PC's, the customer was extremely appreciative thanking me to my car damn near. He told me he was a total newb to midi and just wanted to do midi sequencing on his PC but he would've bought the 410 if I wouldn't have said anything. Made me feel good to help someone and it isn't even my job, it's these guys jobs to help consumers, instead of outright taking advantage of the newbs. Needless to say on my way out the salesman gave me the dirtiest look he possibly could...lol But oh well.

I think more people should know about sites like this though.

I fully understand the big box business model of low wage employees and low prices. This is rampant in consumer electronics and everywhere else. What drives me crazy though is the attitude that seems to be unique to GC employees. Under no circumstance could you, the consumer, possibly know more than the employee, right? - even if the employee is in high school and you have been working in Pro Audio for 15 years.

I dunno, I guess I always thought that Salesman 101 would be the ability to read your customers. If know-nothing, big-wallet dad walks in with punk son than anything goes. But, if an experienced person walks in then maybe they should take a step back. They don't seem to do that.

I once had a pro audio salesperson ask me what a TRS cable was when I asked for one.

Another time I wanted to play a Gibson Les Paul Custom and the salesperson sat next to me and headbanged while I played. His knee was 1" from mine. I played about 30 seconds and then shot him a look before putting the guitar down, turning away, and walking out.

OTOH, I've had some real doozies at small guitar shops. I've had a guy try to sell me a guitar stamped 2nd at a higher price than normal retail. I've had another kid tell me that I could play their Les Pauls, but couldn't use a pick if they didn't have a pickguard. I told him that if I scratched the guitar I would buy it. Then I plugged it in and he told me that I had to be very quiet because there was a restaurant next door and they had lots of noise complaints.

Things are tough all over.

Back