Classic Combos -- Mic+Preamp

ches1

hi everyone!

I figured this subject would be best suited here,

since I see a lot of people stressing that a good mic will sound awesome in some preamp but mediocre in an other one I wonder is there any "famous" mic/preamp combination?????
on the other is there any combination of verygood mic/verygood pre that you should avoid at all cost????

Peace.

those are some cool toys, I love UA from what I've played with
thanks man

I don't know my stuff all that well but seem to have a nose for what's out of my price range:D

Yeah, they're cool toys! Even if the mic and pre are not mine, but from a good friend who's the singer of the biggest rock band in Costa Rica who are going to play tomorrow with Incubus and Smashing Pumpkins (amongst others) in the biggest Rock Festival in Costa Rica... I have his gear in the studio and was playing around with it and noticed that the KSM 105 sounded much better than my other mics for the vocal tracks I was putting down despite the fact that since it looks like a 58, the singer was skeptic! He said that it was a "stage" mic... and I kind of thought that too... but after trying it out we decided to continue with it!

Hey, I found a Neumann the other day in the paper for 500 $ so it is doable!

I'm not jealous, mostly joking but that kicks ass! I know nothing about the Costa Rican music scene.

What is the name of this band? I love the idea of sharing that bill and seeing or meeting those bands. Sweet. Wish them luck (mucho suerte) Carlos

They're called Gandhi and they're working on their 5th studio album. I was the assistant engineer and guitar tech for the new album. Stevie Salas (www.steviesalas.com) is the producer of the album and parts of it were recorded in Matt Sorum's studio in LA.
The music scene in Costa Rica is getting much better very fast! Every year now they're going to have this Rock Festival. Sting and Jamiroquai (amongst many others) were part of the last one. This edition has some great bands from Mexico and Argentina plus Incubus and Smashing Pumpkins tonight; Seal and Duran Duran tomorrow nite!
Lots of new local bands emerging which is good for a recording engineer ;)

very cool man, those are some A list bands. Shouldn't hurt to break out the scene and get a following going on a world scale.

Do you have a link for the band? I'd love to check out some of these bands. I've got a love for Mexican, Brazillian and African music, but haven't heard too many Costa Rican bands.

Thanks for sharing and have fun rockin out.

Back